The Packet Sniffing module provides you with the instructions and devices to develop your hands-on skills in the following topics.
- Packet Sniffing for Password Capture
- Packet Sniffing for Image Capture and Extraction
Lab time: It will take approximately 1 hour to complete this lab.
The following exam objectives are covered in this lab:
- CS0-001 1.1 Given a scenario, apply environmental reconnaissance techniques using appropriate tools and processes
- CS0-001 1.2 Given a scenario, analyze the results of a network reconnaissance
- CS0-001 2.3 Compare and contrast common vulnerabilities found in the following targets within an organization
- CS0-001 3.1 Given a scenario, distinguish threat data or behavior to determine the impact of an incident
Exercise 1 - Packet Sniffing for Passwords
Many protocols display information in plaintext which is not a secure method for transmission. Telnet is one of the primary communication and application protocols used for establishing a connection to any enabled computing device. Most Routers, Switches, and Servers will have this function. However, that doesn’t mean it’s been enabled.
Exercise 2 - Packet Sniffing for Image Capture and Extraction
Through traffic capture, Wireshark can be used to view all information during transit, if this data is unencrypted such as images flowing to a device, Wireshark will record them and save the traffic information which can be extracted into Jpeg formats for by an analyst.