Monitoring SQL Server
The "Monitoring SQL Server" module provides you with the instructions and devices to develop your hands-on skills in the following topics: Working with policies, Configuring database mail, Using database mail.
The Monitoring SQL Server module provides you with the instructions and devices to develop your hands-on skills in the following topics.
- Working with policies
- Configuring database mail
- Using database mail
Lab time: It will take approximately 60 minutes to complete this lab.
Three exam objectives are covered in this lab.
- Configure SQL Server Agent mail to use database mail
- Create and configure a Policy-Based Management policy
- Configure alerts to identify and inform available disk space
Exercise 1 - Working with Policies
A policy-based system to manage SQL Server instances is known as Policy-Based Management. There are five major terms used in Policy-Based Management. These are as follows:
- Target: It is an entity managed by Policy-Based Management. For example, you can consider a database table or an index as a target.
- Facet: It is a collection of logical properties. It displays the features of certain targets. For example, one of the common facets in SQL Server is Audit.
- Condition: It is a logical statement formed after joining Boolean expressions.
- Policy: It is a set of rules used to manage SQL Server instances. It can contain only one condition. Policies are stored in msdb database.
- Category: It is a collection of similar kind of policies under a single node.
In this exercise, you will learn to create a new condition and a new policy.
Exercise 2 - Configuring Database Mail
You can use Database Mail to send e-mails to database users. There are many advantages of using Database Mail. These are as follows:
- Database Mail uses the standard Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) to send e-mails.
- Database Mail profile allows you to specify multiple SMTP servers during configuration.
- Database Mail allows you to create multiple profiles within a single SQL Server instance.
- The stored procedures of Database Mail are disabled by default for security purposes.
- Database Mail stores the information related to e-mail accounts within SQL Server database engine.
- You can configure SQL Server Agent to use Database Mail.
In this exercise, you will learn to configure Database Mail using Database Mail Configuration Wizard and configure SQL Server Agent to use Database Mail.
Exercise 3 - Using Database Mail
After configuring Database Mail and SQL Server Agent, you can use Database Mail. You can create jobs or alerts to send e-mail notifications on important database activities using Database Mail.
In this exercise, you will use Database Mail to send an e-mail alert on the available disk space.
IT & Cybersecurity certification hands on practice labs and practice exams for certifications and skill development.
See the full benefits of our immersive learning experience with interactive courses and guided career paths.