Obtain Capabilities: Tool
While you may be prepared to detect the use of malware on your system, what if an adversary uses a legitimate software tool for a nefarious purpose? Adversaries may buy or steal software and use it in unexpected ways. Learn how adversaries leverage this technique so you can defend your organization.
Already have an account? Sign In »
Module 1: Obtain Capabilities: Tool
The tactic of Resource Development is one where adversaries will use the means available to them to support their objectives. If an existing software tool will aid in their operations, they may buy or steal it (or the license for it) to use it in nefarious ways. Threat actors like FIN10 have been known to obtain tools, such as publicly-available software, to establish persistence in a victim’s network before pursuing the rest of their desired attack plan.
It's important to learn how to detect this technique, as it is tricky to mitigate it.
Get the hands-on skills you need to detect and mitigate this attack in Cybrary's MITRE ATT&CK Framework courses aligned to the tactics and techniques used by the financially motivated threat group FIN10. Prevent adversaries from accomplishing the tactic of Resource Development in your environment today.
What will I be able to accomplish after taking these courses?
- You will be able to identify and validate critical threats related to threat actor attempts to exfiltrate your organization’s valuable data and potentially attempt to extort your organization for financial gain.
- You will be able to use a SIEM tool to identify indicators of compromise and validate whether they should be investigated further.
- You will learn response and mitigation recommendations to keep your organization safe.
What are the prerequisites for these courses?
- Intermediate-level knowledge of defensive security is required. You should have some experience as a security engineer, SOC or security analyst, or similar role.
- Familiarity with using a SIEM tool, like Splunk or ELK is strongly recommended.
- Experience using command-line tools is required.
- Cybrary's MITRE ATT&CK Defender (MAD) ATT&CK Fundamentals Course is recommended.
- A basic understanding of offensive security is beneficial. Those who have taken our Offensive Penetration Testing course or our OWASP Top Ten series of courses will be well prepared in this area.
Technical Manager, Red Team
Complete this entire course to earn a Obtain Capabilities: Tool Certificate of Completion