Lateral Tool Transfer
Once adversaries compromise your network, they can transfer tools between systems in order to stage them for later use or to support lateral movement. They may use file sharing protocols or copy files with existing tools like scp, sftp and ftp. Learn how to spot and mitigate this behavior so you can stop adversaries in their tracks.
Already have an account? Sign In »
Module 1: Lateral Tool Transfer
To achieve their goals, adversaries will take advantage of their ability to stage files and programs in key locations to enable lateral movement and plan for a future move. Threat actors like FIN10 have been known to deploy Meterpreter stagers on a network after performing a lateral movement.
It's important to know how to mitigate this type of activity, as it may not always be easy to detect.
Get the hands-on skills you need to detect and mitigate this attack in Cybrary's MITRE ATT&CK Framework courses aligned to the tactics and techniques used by the financially motivated threat group FIN10. Prevent adversaries from accomplishing the tactic of Lateral Movement in your environment today.
What will I be able to accomplish after taking these courses?
- You will be able to identify and validate critical threats related to threat actor attempts to exfiltrate your organization’s valuable data and potentially attempt to extort your organization for financial gain.
- You will be able to use a SIEM tool to identify indicators of compromise and validate whether they should be investigated further.
- You will learn response and mitigation recommendations to keep your organization safe.
What are the prerequisites for these courses?
- Intermediate-level knowledge of defensive security is required. You should have some experience as a security engineer, SOC or security analyst, or similar role.
- Familiarity with using a SIEM tool, like Splunk or ELK is strongly recommended.
- Experience using command-line tools is required.
- Cybrary's MITRE ATT&CK Defender (MAD) ATT&CK Fundamentals Course is recommended.
- A basic understanding of offensive security is beneficial. Those who have taken our Offensive Penetration Testing course or our OWASP Top Ten series of courses will be well prepared in this area.
Technical Manager, Red Team
Complete this entire course to earn a Lateral Tool Transfer Certificate of Completion