The Backup to Azure module provides you with the instructions and devices to develop your hands on skills in the following topics.
- Creating Windows Azure storage objects and SQL Server credential
- Performing a full database backup to the Windows Azure Blob storage service
- Performing a restore from the full database backup
Lab time: It will take approximately 60 minutes to complete this lab.
Four lab objectives are covered in this lab.
- Create Windows Azure Storage Objects
- Create a SQL Server Credential
- Write a Full Database Backup to the Windows Azure Blob Storage Service
- Perform a Restore From a Full Database Backup
Exercise 1 - Creating Windows Azure Storage Objects and SQL Server Credential
Windows Azure provides you with the Azure Blob storage service to enable you to write backup of your SQL Server databases and restore from the same. To perform SQL Server backup and restore using the Windows Azure Blob storage service, you will need to perform the following prerequisite tasks:
- Create a Windows Azure storage account and a Blob container in your Azure account
- Create a SQL Server credential to access the Azure storage account
In this exercise, you will first learn to create an Azure account. You will then create a Windows Azure storage account and a Blob container in your Azure portal to store the backup of the respective SQL Server database. You will then create a SQL Server credential to store authentication information of the Windows Azure Blob storage object that you created in your Azure portal. A SQL Server credential is used to connect to an external resource outside of SQL Server from within SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS).
Exercise 2 - Performing a Full Database Backup to the Windows Azure Blob Storage Service
In this exercise, you will write a full database backup of the sample AdventureworksDW2016CTP3 SQL Server database to the Windows Azure Storage Blob container that you created in Exercise 1.
Exercise 3 - Performing a Restore from the Full Database Backup
In this exercise, you will restore the full database backup of the sample AdventureworksDW2016CTP3 SQL Server database from the Windows Azure Storage Blob container.
See the full benefits of our immersive learning experience with interactive courses and guided career paths.