Ready to Start Your Career?
By: justin hansen
April 19, 2018
The Ultimate Breakup Guide: Bye-Bye Outlook
By: justin hansen
April 19, 2018
How to Break Up Outlook PST Files Easily: Complete GuideIn today’s arena, digital communication has become more popular across the globe. Every individual or enterprises is using e-communication to share crucial information with the peoples or employees. Nowadays, email becomes an official way of communication between the peoples. The Microsoft Outlook is one of the most popular desktop-based email clients in the world. It provides email services along with various features like contacts, calendars and so on. All of the Outlook data is saved in PST file format. Although PST file has some storage limitation, it can keep a certain amount of data. And, when PST file reaches its maximum limit, it may get corrupted. As a result, all the saved data gets lost, and a user is no longer able to access that PST file. The best way to avoid corruption in PST file is to break Outlook PST file into multiple PST. Therefore, in this blog, we will cover the manual solution to let users know how to break up Outlook PST file without any hassle.
Need to Break MS Outlook PST FileThere can be several possible reasons due to which one needs to break the PST file of Outlook 2016 or earlier versions. Major ones are them mentioned below:
- Prevent Outlook PST File CorruptionA PST file has a fixed limit to store the data within. When the data exceeds the peak limit or it is about to reach its maximum limit. At that time, PST file becomes more prone to corruption or data loss.
- Improve MS Outlook PerformanceIn the case of oversized PST file, the performance of MS Outlook may get disturbed. Therefore, some issues may arise in Outlook such as slow down the execution rate, etc. Hence, it will be beneficial to cut the PST file into multiple PST file and improves the Outlook performance.
- Better Management of Data FileAll the data of Outlook is copied into the one PST file. So, to manage them in an organized way, one can sort the data year or folder wise. This can be easily done by managing large Outlook PST file in smaller parts.
How to Manage Oversized PST File Manually?Microsoft Outlook does not provide any utility tool that directly breaks down the huge size PST file. However, this task can be accomplished by some indirect methods like “Import and Export Wizard” etc. Below, the following methods are described below:
Method#1: Using Import and Export WizardMS Outlook 2016 or below version provides Import and Export option. It is a very convenient method to break PST file into smaller parts. To cut the PST file manually, just follow this steps carefully:
- Launch Microsoft Outlook 2010 on your system.
- Click on File tab, a pop-out menu will open. Now, go to Account Settings and again select Account Settings.
- A new dialog box will appear on the screen. Go to Data Files tab and then, click Add button.
- A new dialog box appear named as Create or Open Outlook Data File. Choose the file name and the desired location of the PST file under this dialog box.
- Click on OK and shut the Account Setting window.
- Now, again select the File tab. Click Open and select Import option.
- The Import and Export Wizard dialog box will appear on the screen. Select the Export option and click Next button to continue the process.
- After that, select the PST file and click on Next.
- The Expand Folder window will appear. From that, select the folder or sub-folder to export from and then click on Next button.
- Navigate the new location for the resultant PST file by clicking on the Browse option.
- Provide a meaningful name to the new PST file and save it. Click on Finish.
- After clicking on Finish, a dialog box will appear to create a password to new PST file. If you do not want any password, then leave it and click Cancel.
- After few seconds, a new PST file creates on the desired location.
Method#2: Using “Move to new folder” Option
- Open Outlook 2010 account in your system.
- Then, go to File>> New >> Outlook Data file.
- A dialog box named as New Outlook Data file will appear. Choose PST file and then Click Ok button.
- A new window of Create Microsoft Personal Folder will appear on the screen.
- Provide a name for the new PST File. After that, select one or more folder where you want to export this new PST file.
- Click Edit, then select Move to Folder option. After that, a Move Items dialog box will appear, select the New button.
- A Create New Folder window will appear. Provide a name for this folder.
- From the Select where to place this folder option, choose the new Outlook PST file and click OK.
- Now, move all the new PST file data in the newly created folder. Finally, click on OK button.
Method#3: Using Archive method
- Open the MS Outlook 2010 email application on your system.
- Select that PST file from which you want to move the data into new PST file
- After that, click on File tab. Select Archive option.
- A new dialog will appear, choose Archive this folder and all subfolders option.
- From the list, choose the folder that you want to export.
- There will be an option appear of Archive item older than. You can also choose this option based on your requirement.
- Now, Browse the new storage location and name the new PST file. Click OK button
- A new PST file is created on your preferred storage location.
Shortcomings of Manual Methods
- If users using the manual method then they must aware of their limitations also. There are a couple of demerits of the above-stated method:
- Any mishandling of steps leads to data loss or corruption.
- This method consist lots of steps, that makes the process more complex
A Professional Solution to Manage Oversized Outlook PST FileDue to the drawbacks of the manual methods, we are recommending a third-party application i.e. SysTools PST Break Tool. It is one of the best tools that cut the PST file into the smaller part in an efficient way. Even its user interface is so simple that a novice user can easily use them. Apart from this, this tool performs the various function and major ones are mentioned below:
- Manage huge Outlook PST file into smaller parts by Date, Size, Folder or Year
- Any size of PST file can be break into the multiple parts
- It supports Active PST file as well as Archive PST File
- It is compatible with all the versions of Windows and MS Outlook