By: Hiroshi Keing
May 20, 2020
The Importance of Asset Security
By: Hiroshi Keing
May 20, 2020
What is Asset Security?
Asset Security Fundamentals is a set of techniques and tools to allow organizational assets, confidentiality, integrity, and availability whenever it's used. As a security professional or IT manager, this course teaches us to develop fundamental skills, facilitating the attendees' professional growth in cybersecurity, IT, or management. The topics explored include:
A) Using corporate investment protection for value generation, B) Understanding how non-IT areas are connected to IT; and, C) The expertise needed to ensure the safety of the corporate property.
Why add this to your skillset?
Understanding the types of assets is crucial because the asset's value determines the requisite level of security and expense. The instructor does a deep dive into the types of assets and the threats they face. This enables the student to perform an overall analysis of asset classification. When the assets are classified and understood, the level of assurance and protection follows. The instructor discusses several strategies and ideas for protecting a company's assets, using potential and real-life scenarios.
How does it make your job more efficient?
Understanding asset security helps the reader identify the need to have and the need to know on your team in the following ways:
- Acquiring knowledge and being able to understand which resources are needed to secure various assets.
- Awareness of when less expensive solutions may be more suitable for better asset protection.
- Understanding when the assets have built-in solutions or security-compliant features, such as contractual assurance or configurations.
- Knowing when less specialized staff may be a better and more efficient way to provide security.
- After gaining some knowledge regarding assets, students will learn the flow of corporate assets in and out of a company, including providing ensuring availability, authentication, and authorization to external users of the assets. Additionally, course attendees will learn about keeping track of each asset's location and status, how to effectively and efficiently protect multiple assets, and how to manage different access levels for different users of the systems.
Upon understanding the fundamentals of asset valuation and protection, the class participant will learn how to provide maintenance and management, ensure proper operation, and administer equipment improvements. With a foundational understanding of asset security, the viewer can begin answering questions such as "Who is responsible for which asset? When does a user need to be granted access? How is such access granted to the assets?"
After taking this course, students will gain a sense of how to improve their mindset regarding asset security within a company. The skills learned will help connect Information Technology to Business Intelligence criteria. Knowledge of the topic before beginning the course is beneficial, but not required. The experience displayed by Cybrary's instructor, Milan Cetic, demonstrates his over 25 years in the IT field.
IT practitioners will:
- Learn new tools and perspectives,
- Be able to recognize the importance of each element of a company and how they relate, and,
- Grow personally and professionally by building a community within the work environment.
The learner would benefit by having some foundational knowledge of IT and IT security before enrolling. Still, attendees will see that the Asset Security Fundamentals course is interactive enough to allow understanding.
Learn More About Asset Security With These Courses: