Did you know Cybrary has FREE video training? Join more than 2,500,000 IT and cyber security professionals, students, career changers, and more, growing their careers on Cybrary.
Module 1: Ophcrack (BSWR)
How to Use Ophcrack
Who Needs to Use Ophcrack?
The primary use of Ophcrack is for password discovery. Due to the frequent need for password discovery, this is a tool that every IT professionals should keep in their toolbelt. However, not only professionals can use this password cracking tool. Anyone who uses one of the operating systems Ophcrack integrates with may have a situation where they need to recover a password, and this tool is easy to use even without a technical background.
Why Use the Ophcrack Tool?
Ophcrack is an open-source password cracker that’s easy to use and quick. But those are not the only reasons that it is a tool worth learning. Here are some of the added benefits and features you’ll be able to utilize when learning Ophcrack:
- It runs on Windows, Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X
- It cracks hashes (LM and NTLM)
- It offers free tables for Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7
- It recovers passwords automatically via the LiveCD method
- It doesn’t require any download to recover passwords
- It provides real-time graphs for password analysis
- You don’t have to have any knowledge of existing passwords
- The password is recovered, not simply reset, which may be helpful for accessing certain archived files
- It dumps and loads hashes from encrypted Security Account Manager (SAM) files recovered from a Windows partition
- It uses a simple GUI
- It’s free
If you would like more information about the Ophcrack password recovery tool and how to use it, continue with our Ophcrack tutorial. This course will show you everything you need to know to crack passwords quickly and easily.
Teaching Assistant Vikramajeet Khatri and Tahir Ibrahim
(Disclaimer: Breaking Stuff with Robert is a Cybrary series that will be running indefinitely. You will not earn CEU/CPE hours by watching any individual 'Breaking Stuff with Robert' episode. However, you can still earn a certificate of completion for each episode completed.)
Certificate of Completion
Complete this entire course to earn a How to Use Ophcrack (BSWR) Certificate of Completion