This free course introduces the student to intermediate concepts found in the implementation and application of Structured Query Language (SQL) within professional business environments.
Upon completion of this course, the student will understand moderately complex database structures and concepts such as data queries, aggregation, complex joins, virtual tables, schema design, development techniques, and tooling.
This course expects the student to already be familiar with development environment set up, basic queries, inner join, left join, right join, cartesian products, basic schema design, views, functions, and table expressions. If all these concepts are foreign, it is suggested that the student enroll in the introduction to SQL course here at Cybrary.
Who is this Course For?
BI Analysts/Developers, Programmers, Database Engineers, College Kids. The database is a very common construct.
By the end of this course, students should be able to:
- Perform intermediate queries using multiple joins, table expressions, and views
- Perform complex aggregation queries and subqueries
- Develop moderately complex database schemas
- Develop complex triggering for enforcing business rules
- Develop complex events, procedures, and functions
- Implement solutions and transactions that preserve data integrity
- Utilize tools that speed up and protect development
In this Intermediate SQL training course, students will expand their SQL knowledge, learning more about the standard programming language. Students will become more confident in their ability to understand and write SQL queries.
What is Considered to be Intermediate SQL Skills?
SQL skills are often divided into three categories – beginner, intermediate, and advanced. This training course was designed to teach students the mid-level skills of SQL. Some of the skills that students should expect to learn at this level include:
- Understanding how indexes work and how to implement them
- Understanding subqueries
- Ability to query data across multiple tables
- Understanding table relations and how to create and modify databases
- Ability to perform recursive joins and pattern matching
- Ability to control what the data will look like with CASE statements
- Understanding the difference between procedural and declarative styles for SQL
- Understanding and ability to design a database in third normal form
- Understanding of transactions, and how to use them in a single database
- Knows when and how to analyze an execution plan
- Understanding relational database concepts like designing and creating a database, normalizing a table, and more
What Does the Intermediate SQL Course Cover?
In this Intermediate SQL course, students will further their understanding of structured query language and increase their knowledge and skillset of this universal coding language. Students will maximize their ability to write effective SQL code. Additionally, students will have the opportunity to master the following during the course:
- Writing complex SQL queries to execute on a database
- Designing and writing SQL queries to group, filter, and summarize complex data subsets to retrieve specific information
- Designing and writing queries and subqueries using functions, unions, and joins
- Application of key techniques to real world problems
To be successful in this course, students need to have a basic understanding of SQL and database systems before they enroll.
Who Should Take this Intermediate SQL Training?
SQL is a query language that is widely used, so it’s something that all IT professionals (beginners and experienced) should know. Anyone who is looking to build upon basic SQL skills, employees who are looking for continuing education to add value to their organizations, and business mangers or owners who want to fully harness business data, are all good candidates for learning SQL.
Students who enroll in the Intermediate SQL course should have completed an introductory SQL course, though it’s not a prerequisite, or have an understanding of SQL basics.
What is the Best Way to Learn Intermediate SQL?
If you have an understanding of SQL fundamentals and are looking to add to your SQL knowledge, our Intermediate SQL class is a great place to start. Knowing more than the basics of SQL will add valuable skills to your repertoire, making you a more well-rounded IT professional as well as more appealing to hiring managers and recruiters.
Cybrary’s Intermediate SQL online training course is a convenient and comprehensive way to continue your SQL learning. Registering for this course is easy, simply click the Register button at the top right of this screen.
Complete this entire course to earn a Intermediate SQL Certificate of Completion
The Microsoft Azure Test is a premium Cybrary assessment created by Interview Mocha. The exam ...
The AWS Data Engineering test is a premium Cybrary assessment test created by Interview Mocha. ...