Enterprise Security Leadership: Security Management AMA
Questions and Key Takeaways
1. As a CISO, is it good to work for one company, or move frequently between companies? Consider depth vs breadth and evaluate having expert knowledge vs competitive compensation.
2. When a CISO is starting out, what should be focused on during their first year with a company? Pick something and focus on it until it's better than it was, and move to the next.
3. Are there useful risk metrics for leadership teams? The 5 C-Model (Complexity, Consequence, Conflict, Communication, Controls)
4. What tools are helpful to demonstrate alignment between business and infosec?
5. How do you balance between management skills and hands-on tech skills? There's always one that will be stronger for each person.
6. What advice could you give someone wanting to create a cybersecurity startup? The "Why" should always come first.
7. What are the pros/cons of a cybersecurity maturity model approach to communicating and managing cybersecurity risk?
8. How to approach difficult problems from a security executive's point of view.
9. Is specialization an asset? Dive into specialization vs generalization and determine what is most valuable to you.
10. Should breach notifications be mandated at the state or federal level, or both?
This course is part of a Career Path:
No items found.
I'm an experienced Chief Executive Officer, Chief Security Officer, Chief Information Security Officer (second person to hold the CISO position in history), University Professor, Security Consultant, Keynote Speaker, Computer Science Researcher, and Prolific Author (six published books) with a demonstrated history of working in the telecommunications industry beginning at Bell Labs and leading to SVP/CSO position at AT&T. Skilled in Cyber Security, Network Architecture, Wide Area Network (WAN), Managed Services, and Network Design. Strong entrepreneurship professional with PhD in Computer Science from the Stevens Institute of Technology, and also a graduate of Columbia Business School. Directly served four Presidential Administrations in Cyber Security, and now serves as a Member of the M&T Bank Board of Directors, Senior Advisor for the Applied Physics Lab at Johns Hopkins University, Adjunct CS Professor at the Stevens Institute of Technology, CS Department Instructor at New York University, and Member of the NSA Advisory Board (NSAAB).
Certificate of Completion
Complete this entire course to earn a Enterprise Security Leadership: Security Management AMA Certificate of Completion