By: Owen Dubiel
May 12, 2021
Network Firewall Security With Titania’s Nipper
By: Owen Dubiel
May 12, 2021
Network firewall security can be a challenging endeavor to achieve. Many pitfalls can occur, and it usually requires the approval/coordination of multiple parties to implement or even get consent to implement effectively. Today, we will cover a secret, a low-key tool that is non-intrusive, easy to use, and satisfies all parties involved. Whether you are trying to achieve higher security or adhere to compliance objectives, titania nipper is the low-maintenance solution to utilize.
Base Configuration Scanning
Importantly, Nipper is to scan your networking device's configuration file without putting any load on the device itself. Uploading the configuration file to the tool's console or setting up the automated job to pull the base config from your networking devices, Nipper can quickly provide a good base of what security holes may exist. Below are all the supported networking vendors that Nipper can scan out of the box:
- Alteon Networks
- Bay Networks
- Blue Coat
- Extreme Networks
- Foundry Networks
- Secure Computing
Most devices under these vendors are supported, but it is recommended to check Titania's website to be compatible.
Reporting For Any Objective
Whether you need reports for senior leadership or PCI compliance, Nipper contains several different methods to generate and export reports to fit any need. The software is also compliant to satisfy audits request related to the following security compliance frameworks:
- PCI DSS
- NIST 800-53
- NIST 800-171
- Cyber Essentials
Nipper is continuing to build its platform support out continuously. Outside of the traditional security/compliance frameworks that are supported, it supports the following specific industry frameworks as well:
- HIPAA ( Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act)
- RMF (Risk Management Framework)
- CMMC (Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification)
- CDM (Construction Design and Management)
- FedRAMP (Federal Risk and Authorization Management Program)
- FISMA (Federal Information Security Management Act)
The built-in and easy-to-read reporting provide an inside look at even vulnerabilities per industry with intuitive benchmarks. Want automated reporting that is ingested into your SIEM? Nipper allows the ability to send reports via JSON format and some top-name SIEM brands like Splunk and Elastic.
Direct Remediation Feedback
Outside of just telling you which vulnerabilities exist on your device, it takes the following steps to ensure that the course of action to fix is fully understood.
- The scheduling tool allows for re-auditing as well as a built-in redaction tool.
- Results can be sent to a SIEM for further enrichment on detections.
- Four audit types for tailor responses (device, security, compliance, vulnerability).
- Help prioritize risk with a mitigation classification table.
- CVSS rating customization and usability.
- Remediation advises including exact technical fixes and a "time to fix" calculator.
- Machine consumable reports for easy automation into business pipelines.
Nipper is fully optimized to run independently, separated from any sensitive resources, and can still provide maximum value with little interference. It is essential to identify exactly how to satisfy a vulnerability; Nipper provides this with ease.
Administrations and network professionals must understand and see the risks around network firewall security. Using a tool like Nipper is the best way to gain the visibility required to strengthen network security). It's a cost-effective and non-intrusive way to scan network devices that are not easily scanned by traditional solutions. The tool can quietly and quickly assure any vulnerabilities lurking on a system using a configuration-based approach. To understand more about network firewall security or review the latest threats imposed on networking devices, check out what Cybrary's website has to offer.