How To Get Started With Cisco DevNet
What is Cisco DevNet?
Cisco DevNet is a program for anyone who wants to learn, write, develop, and integrate code with Cisco technologies, APIs, and SDKs. The platform includes the Internet of Things (IoT), cloud, networking, data center, collaboration, analytics, automation software, security, open-source, mobility, and customer experience technologies. DevNet provides learning paths and tracks that include labs, sandbox environments, videos, projects, use cases, and code repositories for aspiring network engineers and developers. It also has a large community where you can find support, interest groups and connect with other technology experts.
Cisco DevNet Certifications
DevNet certifications will provide students, network engineers, and developers with the skills needed to demonstrate their application development, automation, DevOps, Cloud, and IoT proficiency. Certifications are only valid for three years.
DevNet Associate (200-901) is a 2-hour exam that tests an applicant's understanding of software development and design, Application Programming Interfaces (APIs), application deployment and security, and infrastructure and automation.
- 1+ years of hands-on experience developing and supporting applications built on Cisco technologies
Cisco DevNet Specialist certification provides a Software Specialist and Automation Specialist focus. Each focus offers several specializations. Candidates only have to take and pass one exam per specialty to be certified.
- 3 to 5 years of experiences with application development, operations, security, or infrastructure using Cisco technologies
Cisco Certified DevNet Specialist (Software) options:
- Core (350-901)
- DevOps (300-910)
- IoT (300-915)
- Webex (300-920)
Cisco Certified DevNet Specialist (Automation) options:
- Collaboration Automation and Programmability (300-835)
- Data Center Automation and Programmability (300-635)
- Enterprise Automation and Programmability (300-435)
- Security Automation and Programmability (300-735)
- Service Provider Automation and Programmability (300-535)
For a candidate to earn a DevNet Professional certification, they must pass two exams: The DevNet core exam and choose a concentration exam.
- 3 to 5 years of experience designing and implementing applications built on Cisco technologies
- Familiarity/Expertise with Python
DevNet Core exam:
- Developing Applications using Cisco Core Platforms and APIs (350-901)
- Automating and Programming Cisco Enterprise Solutions (300-435)
- Automating and Programming Cisco Collaboration Solutions (300-835)
- Automating and Programming Cisco Data Center Solutions (300-635)
- Automating and Programming Cisco Service Provider Solutions (300-535)
- Automating and Programming Cisco Security Solutions (300-735)
- Implementing DevOps Solutions and Practices using Cisco Platforms (300-910)
- Developing Solutions using Cisco IoT and Edge Platforms (300-915)
- Developing Applications for Cisco Webex and Webex Devices (300-920)
Cisco DevNet provides students with several learning choices to skill up with Cisco technologies, REST APIs, and programmability.
DevNet Tracks provide students with over 20 guided paths that combine modules and labs. A student can choose tracks that appeal to them. Some examples of learning tracks are Containers, Cisco Stealthwatch, and Network Programmability for Application Developers. The DevNet Learning Labs offer standalone guided labs for networking, coding, mobility, IoT, collaboration, and programmability. Then there is Learning in Modules, which is just the standalone literature used in DevNet Tracks. Students can choose the standalone learning modules or labs and accommodate their learning with provided videos. Access to any of these tools is free of charge. The only thing required is a Cisco DevNet account and a drive to learn.
Some of the DevNet learning paths require a testing environment. Cisco provides a sandbox for students and developers to learn, code, and test apps against Cisco's APIs and technologies. Depending on a user's needs, they can choose Always-On or Reservation labs.
- Available 24x7
- Run-on DMZ with public access
- No reservations required
- No setup time
- Access to APIs
- Shared with others
- No admin access
- Require reservations
- Full, administrative access
- Private environment with VPN
- In-lab automation tools
- Custom setup automation
- Environment can't be saved
Code Exchange furnishes developers with sample code repositories developed and maintained by the DevNet community. Ecosystem Exchange provides business owners with a showcase of diverse industries' solutions for different Cisco products to help them achieve their business needs. Automation Exchange provides users with use-case code repositories for network and infrastructure automation tools such as Ansible, Puppet, and Terraform.
The DevNet platform is like a playground for aspiring IT professionals, experienced IT professionals, and business owners. Cisco DevNet offers a platform where students and IT professionals can learn, write, and share code. DevNet provides a showcase of use cases and solutions for Cisco products, REST APIs, SDKs, network and Infrastructure automation tools.