This information might already be in the forums
or quickly retrieved via searching online. Yet, after a few minutes of not finding a link, a how-to, etc online, I decided to attempt to update Burp Suite in Kali on my own.When I opened the application today, it prompted to download a new version. I ran software updates and apt-get update on Kali, but I had to manually update Burp Suite.You can quickly launch Burp Suite via Applications > Web Applications under numerous sub-menus. It can also be launched from Top 10 Security Tools. FYI, Burp Suite resides in /usr/bin.
The Steps to Update Burp Suite:
In order to update Burp Suite, I had to go to the developer's website: http://www.portswigger.net/burp/download.html
- Download the latest jar file into your Downloads folder
- Navigate to /usr/bin and select burpsuite
- Rename burpsuite to burpsuite(old)
- Copy the jar that was just downloaded into /usr/bin
- Right-click and rename the jar to burpsuite
- In the Permissions tab, select Allow executing file as program
- Hit close
Launch Burp Suite again and you'll see that you won't be alerted that there is a new update available. You'll indeed be running the latest version. Upon successful launch, you can delete burpsuite (old) from /usr/bin. Note: You can probably run a small script to automate this process for future updates.
Thanks and I hope this is helpful!