Ready to Start Your Career?
By: Sasha Radenovic
August 24, 2017
Security as a Service: SECaaS
By: Sasha Radenovic
August 24, 2017
Cloud computing, hosted services, and applications on demand redefined the way users access and exchange data, but security solutions have remained stuck in the past, cluttered with complicated architecture and limited thinking. The solution brings cloud, i.e. Security-as-a-Service (SECaaS).Companies that want to resist threats must consider a new security methodology, as traditional solutions encounter very serious challenges:
- New Threats: Many administrators believe that the development of security solutions does not follow the pace of threats and attacks being changed. New threats require an increasingly complex security infrastructure, in order to defend themselves against today's threats, multi layer protection is often needed, which often involves more solutions - starting from different devices, through a firewall, to software. The combination of these solutions provides the best protection, but this creates the next problem.
- Complexity Mutual integration of different security solutions, due to their mutual incompatibility, can create an even bigger problem than the threat itself. Because they often come from different manufacturers, security solutions also have different technical requirements for successful work. Also, each requires special knowledge, which means that additional training for administrators or recruiting new staff is required, which leads to cost increases.
- Unpredictable Costs According to some surveys, 20 percent of the company's IT budget stands out for security, with precise judgments difficult to determine. The reason is that even if part of the budget is determined for an unforeseen security situation or a disaster, you can not know what kind of damage will be and what kind of recovery will be - how many hours of engagement, whether it will be necessary to buy new technology, engagement of consultants, Experts. If we were to add the price of the loss or compromise of data to this amount as well as the possible legal consequences of this loss, then it is clear why the security budget can be removed from control.
- Staticity Traditional solutions are reluctant to follow the growth of the company. When a company develops and grows one site, centralized security becomes an almost impossible task. Branches, branches, and distant locations require their own set of security solutions, which should function independently, but still be centrally managed. Such requests traditional solutions are not able to meet.
- Continuous Struggle Perhaps the biggest problem of on-premise solutions is the constant need for updating, mending and repairing security vulnerabilities. Anti-malware applications require daily security signatures, and filtering applications daily update their URLs. The same applies to operating systems and applications that need patches and patches to avoid unwanted situations. The easiest way to solve this problem is to switch to solutions that are automatically updated.
- Better Policies Definition, Easier Distribution, and Execution: For Web security, first of all, policies are defined and automatically distributed to different locations, with centralized management and execution.
- Better security distribution: SECaaS solutions enforce security procedures on workstations (endpoints) regardless of location, equipment, and infrastructure. Each connected device is fully protected and controlled by the policy, even if it is not in a static environment. The physical location no longer affects the effectiveness of security, as analysis and security decisions take place in the cloud. Traditional solutions rely on the physical connection between the endpoint and the main security device, which complicates the ability to protect mobile users or users at remote locations that access the network from laptops and other devices.
- Lower Total Costs: In SECaaS security solutions, unlike traditional ones, you do not have hardware, software, integration, and maintenance costs, but only one item in budgeting - a service. More importantly, the price is determined on the basis of the required capacity (or capacity in use) rather than on the expected but uncertain growth potential. In other words, the SECaaS model's price is based on real consumption, while in traditional solutions you have to think about possible scenarios in the case of growth and predict maximum usage.
- Lower operating costs: Security as a service eliminates the need for additional support, technical training, upgrading to new versions of the program and other hidden costs that we encountered on the on-premise of the solution.
- Enhanced installation and deployment: SECaaS solutions are designed for instant implementation, with little or no job for administrators. A load of integration with the existing infrastructure is not yours, but you are transferring it to the SECaaS provider.