Ready to Start Your Career?
December 15, 2015
Password Management Solutions: Are They Really Worth It?
December 15, 2015
As I clicked reply to a comment recently, relating to the worth or value of using a Password Manager, I saw my own "product" shall we say, go right to work, logging me in to do so...And, it was a good feeling using it...Excellent.So, I'll provide a view on the topic, based on the only password manager I've had a lot of experience with.I subscribe to a few different geeky-style newsletters, not pushing any one of them in particular, not my point here. I had received a review of what I will refer to as: "this product's", Password Manager from one such trusted source. My take away from the review was this:
- I understood it was a safe product.
- It was free
- It could help with a problem that was growing within the context of my own IT landscape.
- Does my password management solution offer me the options of a digital legacy? So that data can be transferred to a trusted individual in the event something unforeseen ever happened to me.
- Can I share my passwords? ... ... Securely? A good password manager will include some type of mechanism that would allow you to share a password with other users. Some will allow you to choose to view the password, either temporarily or otherwise. There are one or two that will even allow you to wipe or revoke the sharing previously shared passwords.
- Can my password manager handle application passwords? Some managers have the ability to provide management of passwords for more than simply website applications. Some manage your credentials for accessing logins to applications that live on the devices themselves. Very handy.
- Does my password manager provide a secure browser? Some of the top managers offer a secure browser, which is invoked whenever you hit a secure website (for instance, a bank website or other financial institutions). These secure browser versions guard your sensitive transaction activities.