Have you ever wondered why the names of hard drives start from “C”? Where have the A and B drives gone?
Here's the answer:
- Hard disk drives have been standard since 1980
- Before hard disk drives, Floppy disk drives were used as data storage devices
- Floppy disks came into existence in the 1960’s
- Floppy disks came in two sizes 5 1/4 ” and 3 1/2″
- Those two floppy disk drives were labelled as Local Disk "A" and Local Disk "B"
- Hard disk drives augmented and then replaced the floppy disks, hence the letter "C" was used
By the way, after the invention of the Hard disk, a Floppy disk of size 8 inch came into existence