Redundant Internet Connections

Video Activity

In this video you will learn how to create a virtual Wide Area Network link that provides your FortiGate unit with redundant Internet connections from two Internet Service Providers or ISPs. The virtual WAN link combines both connections into a single interface. This example uses weighted load balancing set up so that one primary ISP handles most o...

Join over 3 million cybersecurity professionals advancing their career
Sign up with
or

Already have an account? Sign In »

Time
1 hour 35 minutes
Difficulty
Beginner
CEU/CPE
2
Video Description

In this video you will learn how to create a virtual Wide Area Network link that provides your FortiGate unit with redundant Internet connections from two Internet Service Providers or ISPs. The virtual WAN link combines both connections into a single interface. This example uses weighted load balancing set up so that one primary ISP handles most of your Internet traffic, and the secondary ISP provides automatic failover if your primary ISP connection fails. Visit Fortinet's documentation library at http://docs.fortinet.com

Video Transcription
00:00
In this video, you will learn how to create a virtual wide area network link that provides your Forte Gate unit with redundant Internet connections from two Internet service providers, or iess. Piece the virtual when Linc combines both connections into a single interface.
00:16
This example used this waited load balancing set up so that one primary eyes p handles most of your Internet traffic,
00:24
and the secondary I SP provides automatic fail over. If your primary eyes P connection fails.
00:38
First, connect the ice P devices to the 40 gait. Connect the primary I speed to win one in the secondary ice p to win, too.
00:53
Next, make sure that the Win one and when to interfaces are not already in use in any Ford A gate configurations. Or you will not be able to add wth, um, to the virtual win link.
01:07
Go to Policy and objects policy. I pee before and delete any policies that use Win one or when to
01:19
go to router
01:21
static, static roots and delete any roots that use. Win one or win, too.
01:26
After you confirm traffic will no longer be able to reach when one or went to through the 40 gait,
01:38
go to system network interfaces and select Create New Virtual Wed
01:46
Set when load balancing two waited round robin to allow you to prioritize the Win one interface
01:53
ad, Win one to the list of interface members. Set the weight 23 and use the Gately i P provided by your iced tea.
02:04
Now add went to to the list of interface members,
02:09
but this time said the weight to one used the Gately i p provided by your R S P.
02:16
The weight settings caused 75% of traffic to use when one in the remaining 25% use win, too.
02:25
Your Gateway I Pease Air listed under system network interfaces
02:37
go to router static, static roads and create a new default, wrote
02:43
said. Device to the virtual win link.
02:53
Next, create a policy that allows traffic from the internal network to reach the Internet through the virtual win link.
03:00
Go to policy and objects policy. I pee before and create a new policy.
03:08
Set the incoming interface to the internal network interface and said the outgoing interface to the virtual win link
03:23
enable Net
03:24
scroll down to view the logging options to view the results later. Turn on log, allowed traffic and select all sessions.
03:43
Browse the Internet using a computer on your internal network to generate Web traffic.
03:47
Then, in the 40 gait, interviewees go to system for the view.
03:53
All sessions.
03:55
Make sure that the Bites column and destination interfaced column are visible in the traffic log. If they're not shown,
04:04
go to column settings and used the arrow buttons to make them visible.
04:15
The log should show traffic flowing through both Win one and when to with the majority of traffic flowing through. When one
04:25
now disconnect the Win one port and continue to browse the Internet.
04:32
Refresh the traffic clogged, and you should see that all traffic is now flowing through when. Two. Until you reconnect. Win one.
04:46
Thank you for watching. For more information you can access for in its complete Documentation library at doc's dot Fortinet dot com.
Up Next