Did you know Cybrary has FREE video training? Join more than 2,500,000 IT and cyber security professionals, students, career changers, and more, growing their careers on Cybrary.
In this lab, Subject Matter Expert Dean Pompilio demonstrates Cupp (Common User Password Profiler), which is an information gathering tool that you can get from GitHub.com. Enter CUPP into the site's search feature and choose MEBUS/Cupp from the choices returned. This tool allows you to generate a list of possible passwords to use in the Dictionary file. The Dictionary file(s) can be expanded as more information is gathered. In this Part of Module 4, SME Pompilio demonstrates using Cupp to generate password word lists for a Cupp Dictionary. You will learn to:
- open the command shell USER SHARE
- work in interactive mode
- improve an existing Dictionary
- download a Dictionary
- generate a password word list for a Dictionary by answering questions about the target
- understand the various modes in Cupp
- evaluate the password word list generated by Cupp
- use another tool to save your output as a Rainbow Table
SME Pompilio reviews the config file and discusses the various modes, parameters, repositories, and default settings you can use.