Why has the CLI video not been updated with correct info?CompTIA Linux+ Course

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Courses CompTIA Linux+ Course Why has the CLI video not been updated with correct info?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Gamer115x 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

tlbsoftware
    Participant

In the command-line-interface for Linux+ found at https://www.cybrary.it/video/command-line-interface/ the teacher has trouble using the “du” command on one of his files. He states that it works on other linux distros but probably not on ubuntu and this is WRONG. He tries to type the file name, which contains space characters, without using a backslash to escape those characters. This itself is something that should be discussed and taught to the users because from the looks of the video it makes you believe that du doesn’t work on ubuntu and it does and is a very useful command when needing to check file/folder sizes.

tlbsoftware
    Participant

Spoke too soon, I now saw that he went back and demonstrated the command after he changed the file name to not contain spaces

Gamer115x

Yeah, I was pretty upset about that too. I didn’t even start with as much experience with Bash (the Terminal) as I do now, and I even knew the blunder of the teacher; but then again, if the student is able to identify the teacher’s error, that’s a good thing. Nobody’s perfect after all.

For those tuning in (because this is a public forum), here’s a quick recap:

The instructor tried putting du File Name, which is wrong. Linux, and in most cases Microsoft’s CMD and Mac OS’s Terminal, interpret most commands with “modifiers” which, as the name implies, changes the way the command functions. du lists by default how many kilobytes make up a file. However, appending du with -h, for example, makes it list files by exact human-readable syntax: Kilobytes (K), Megabytes (M), Gigabytes (G), etc.

So, for example, du Text.txt can output 14    Text.txt, showing that it in fact, contains 14 Kilobytes of data. However, running it again with du -h Text.txt outputs instead 14K   Text.txt.

The correct use of a command that is implying to a file that has whitespace (or in English, spaces in its name), is Command [Modifier] 'File Name', using quotes, or by using escape characters, Command [Modifier] File\ Name.

@tlbsoftware, in the future, however, I politely ask that you watch the whole lesson through before making a post on it. This way, if the instructor regards his/her mistake or explains it further later on in the lesson, you will have all the appropriate information.

Thanks!

Oops. I went full-out Nerd.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  Gamer115x. Reason: Odd formatting errors...?
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  Gamer115x. Reason: Odd formatting errors. Got too used to Bash
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should accessible for everyone, everywhere. Everyone deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is the world's largest community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel