Why do we need Inter-Vlan communication?Cisco CCNA Course

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Courses Cisco CCNA Course Why do we need Inter-Vlan communication?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ramesh kumar 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jaskskull
    Participant

Let me explain, i know vlans separate broadcast domains and one of the reasons for using it was to separate communications between devices in different vlans, if so then why do we need inter-vlan communications, doesn’t that contradict the use of vlans?

dedeij
    Participant

Not really,

Generally when they are talking about inter-vlan routing, they are talking layer 3. When talking about broadcast domains generally you are talking layer 2.

So say for example, you have an office floor, and you dedicated that floor to a specific Vlan. Any Intra-Vlan communication is going to be down with layer 2(Arp requests etc), However, let’s say you have a separate floor that houses your web-server, SAN storage etc, these are going to be on a separate Vlan, and most likely people on the office floor are going to need to communicate with the web-server so they need to know how to get there…i.e from one Vlan to Another. However, they don’t need to be in the same Vlan as the office floor.

For theoretical purposes you can think of Vlans as two separate physical networks, we often have to communicate to devices on other networks, but it requires Layer 3 routing to accomplish this, the same can be said of Vlans.

Jaskskull
    Participant

Thank you for you reply, it is much more clear right now, i was stuck with that doubt for 2 days without finding an answer to it.

dedeij
    Participant

Glad to be of assistance, there are many good free course out there. One I partial too is the one available from Juniper(It’s free), it’s condensed to about 4 hours and IMO is one of the best out there for a ‘high level’ view. You may have to create an account, but it’s free and easy.

https://learningportal.juniper.net/juniper/user_activity_info.aspx?id=769

Ramesh kumar
    Participant

Dear all

My Question is very simple :-After inter-vlan set up can we stop the broadcast(LOOP) of one VLAN to going in another vlan.
    If we do intervlan than broadcast of one vlan reached in all vlan as all vlan in inter-vlan.
    I have seen live scenario outage of whole network due to broadcast in one vlan?????.

Is this due to Intervlan
    Is this due to all vlan in same subnet that is /26.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should be free, for everyone, FOREVER. Everyone, everywhere, deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is a free community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

Support Cybrary

Donate Here to Get This Month's Donor Badge

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel