Which book for CISSP?Information Assurance, Governance, Risk and Compliance

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  romualds 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

ankurj.hazarika
    Participant

Folks- I know this is very subjective but based on your experience, which book do you suggest?

CISSP (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide

by James Michael Stewart, Mike Chapple, Darril Gibson[/COLOR]

OR

Shon Harris.

Please help me out guys.

Brian Idol
    Participant

Personally, I found the Shon Harris book difficult to read. The material was good, but the presentation was very dry and I often found my attention wandering. Don’t get me wrong, Shon was pretty much the CISSP expert when she was alive and her books were treated like a religious artifact that shouldn’t be questioned. Just dry in my opinion.

When I certified, I used the Sybex book that you mentioned first. The information was good, the presentation was great, and the flow of the book was awesome. Definitely recommend the Sybex for studying and the Shon Harris as a desk reference.

unorthodox
    Participant

Any other suggestions…

Chin_Diesel

Honestly not bragging, but I didn’t use a book to get my CISSP. I attended a course prep which gave me a couple months access to https://www.freepracticetests.org/quiz/index.php and took practice tests, and reviewed and researched the answers I got wrong, or even some of the ones I got right but wasn’t sure on, until I was consistently scoring above 85% on them.

All your books are going to be dry. This is the CISSP we are talking about. Get yourself some flash cards if necessary, and go take yourself some practice tests, and best of luck!

romualds
    Participant

I used 2 books (and successfully passed the exam on my first attempt) :
    – Shon Harris, CISSP All in One Exam Guide
    – Sybex CISSP Official Study Guide (actually, (ISC)2 CISSP Official App is based on it)

However, creno13 is absolutely right : reading books from A to Z may not be the best solution and could be time consuming. Better practice, practice and practice again, and maybe use reference books to check why you’re doing wrong on some points (however, the web is full of great free resources).

Good luck!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should accessible for everyone, everywhere. Everyone deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is the world's largest community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel