What is the difference in Citrix and VMWare usability?Virtualization Management Course

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Courses Virtualization Management Course What is the difference in Citrix and VMWare usability?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  bibhusan 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Radha Krishna
    Participant

Hi, Can anyone suggest me the better virtualization technology please?

Radha Krishna
    Participant

?

S.B.
    Participant

If you are asking for which is better between Citrix, VMWare, Virtualbox etc, my first choice whould be VMWare. If you need to virtualize on your own machine and have some money to spend buy VMWare Workstation, it’s worth it

uguuuur
    Participant

My think, if you use server virtualization VMWare best. if desktop and application virtualization Citrix. And is you use session virtualization MS RDP.

Of course these are my thoughts.

Radha Krishna
    Participant

Thanks guys. For the education practicals purpose. During university days we used to practice on Hyper-v. But it was too slow.

MEB
    Participant

Microsoft Hyper-V has come a long way and the 2012 version is a pretty solid product.

Impact
    Participant

No doubt – VMWare Workstation 11 if you can afford it! If not – VMWare Player.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by  Impact.

Johan Grotherus
    Participant

The question is way to generic to be answered, you need to explain what your needs are. Virtualization comes in many forms and sizes.

If wee are talking about running a few virtual machines on your own desktop/laptop, you have plenty of choices. If you are looking for a free virtualization engine, look into VirtualBox which is pretty good. Others like Vmware Workstation is very good, but are not free to use. Hyper-V requires Windows 8 Pro/Enterprise or Server 2012, so it is not free in itself, but comes bundled with the OS. It is great for running Windows virtual machines, not as great with Linux.

Server virtualization is the same, it depends on what you want to do. If you have a dedicated server, you can run Vmware ESXi for free, with some limitations. There is xenserver which is also free and there are others as well.

coypu76
    Participant

Citrix is primarily a desktop and application virtualization platform and focuses on Windows. It was originally released as a set of value-added extensions to Windows Terminal Services (now called Remote Desktop Services) and is designed to give organizations a way to centrally administer desktop applications or entire desktops with a set of applications that can be installed once in one place, then published to a designated group of users. Citrix is not a hypervisor, so it’s a completely different beast than VMWare, focused on the desktop world. (Citrix owns a hypervisor which I’ll mention below).
    VMWare is a hardware virtualization platform which allows organizations to leverage server infrastructure more efficiently and simplify systems administration by allowing the creation of multiple virtual guest OS machines on a single hardware platform. VMware guest machines can run virtually any OS, and are presented a standard set of emulated hardware to eliminate the complexity of diverse hardware. Its management tools include the ability to migrate Physical hosts to Virtual machines (P2V) and rapid backup and migration of virtual machines to another virtual host as well as rapid prototyping, and also features the use of shared SAN storage.
    Citrix owns a hypervisor-based hardware virtualization platform called Xenserver which is functionally very similar to VMWare but does not enjoy as much market footprint.
    Both VMWare and Xenserver have free unsupported and commercial supported versions. The control panel for each is very similar – if you know one, the other is easy to run.
    Microsoft Hyper-V is their hardware virtualization platform which also has similar functionality to VMWare and Xenserver, though it does not support as rich a spectrum of available guest OS types as VMWare or Xenserver.
    VirtualBox is a free virtualization platform originally developed by Sun Corp, which was acquired by Oracle in 2010, and has very similar functionality to VMWare and Xenserver’s free editions.
    Linux distros include KVM, the Kernal Virtual Machine, which also adds virtualization functionality to any Linux computer.
    So the main pantheon of hypervisor virtualization platforms is made of VMWare, Xenserver, Hyper-V and KVM. VMWare has the biggest market footprint in the Enterprise space and enjoys very solid support. Windows shops tend to use VMWare or Hyper-V. Amazon’s EC2 servers run a customized Xenserver hypervisor which gives Xenserver a huge footprint in the public cloud. KVM is a bit more limited and is not as widely used in large enterprises.
    They are all capable platforms – I have administered VMWare and Xenserver systems for over 10 years and find they have very similar capabilities, but the larger market footprint of VMWare means that more third-party utilities and extensions are available for it. But I have VMs running in businesses using Xenserver and Hyper-V, and run lots of EC2 instances that I know run on Xenserver, though I don’t actually see the Xenserver interface for them at all.
    Don’t make a mistake of trying to figure out which one is best – it all depends on your environment and what you want to do. Learning any one of them will give you a leg up on running the others (the outlier here is KVM which is the most different).

Ivan Slade
    Participant

it is more about value of brend and licence now I think, and user involvement in past experience, after all, they all on some level can do the same, citrix maybe more on high big company level but on level of normal user they are all the same

junaidsailand
    Participant

Use VMWare Workstation, but you will need to buy it.
    Else you can use VirtualBox which is pretty good and free.

qudweb
    Participant

i suggest you to use Vmware or Hyper-v, it work well for me and i used for 3 linux based server, and 1 windows server 2008 wch am running now. so try vmware os on ur linux based system like dell workstation with 16gb ram and 4 terabytes of hard drive space……..

Qudweb Computer & Technology
    Nigeria

mayanky
    Participant

nice

calmstryker
    Participant

thanks guy.. will definitely look into these

Ferdi Bak
    Participant

Hyper-V evolved a lot lately and will probably be(come) market leader when it comes to virtualization. Personally I still prefer working with VMWare.

bibhusan
    Participant

Best practice is VMware enterprise version for official use and I am using it there is no problem. Desktop virtualisation can be used using PCoIP technology.

Thank you.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should be free, for everyone, FOREVER. Everyone, everywhere, deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is a free community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

Cybrary On The Go

Get the Cybrary app for Android for online and offline viewing of our lessons.

Get it on Google Play

Support Cybrary

Donate Here to Get This Month's Donor Badge

Skip to toolbar

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel