hacked wifiOffensive Cyber Security

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Balamurugan AN 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

dthegray
    Participant

Topic Clossed

Chin_Diesel

Did the guy actually “hack” into your wifi, or did you leave it unsecured, only to find out that later that someone took advantage of your lack of security?

Also, its highly doubtful that someone is going to do any prison time for leeching internet. Attacking your home network and compromising systems, well, thats another thing.

Anyways, if you want to “teach them a lesson,” I’d either do one of the following: Set your security to WPA2, and change your password. You have his MAC, so block that as well. Make your SSID something that lets him know that you are aware of his activities. Alternately, if you plan on letting him stay in your network, change the DHCP settings, and the DNS settings. Run a screwed up DNS that changes google to one of the shock sites, or just plain serves up invalid info so he can never make a proper DNS query. Have all your home network devices set to manual configurations, and point them to a well known public DNS, like 8.8.8.8

Really though, I’d just drop it and block the guy. If you go for “revenge” and try to do something malicious to their computer (cell phone, if the device registers as a Huawei), you could then be under fire, not them.

dthegray
    Participant

dedeij
    Participant

I’d say the majority of this site is made up of IT Professionals, not ‘script kiddies’ with a grudge.

That being said anyone who’s had any type of training(Giving or receiving) all the say the same thing.

“Don’t practice this live, unless you have the targets permission” I’m assuming you don’t have his permission, therefore it would be unethical here for anyone to give you advice on how to break the law(and depending where you are, this can differ drastically).

Now that being said, it doesn’t prevent you from altering your own network, (Which you can test and see if it’s working)…For example, set up a firewall wall rule that fires when your at work, which will only allows one website to be accessed…a Barney Video on repeat for example. If this guy knows enough to break in, he probably knows how to change his mac and detect IP gateway etc…but if you did a blanket policy for ANY device on your network(of course when you know you’re not using it), then he can’t really do anything(as long as he doesn’t get into your firewall/router admin page).

He’ll probably get frustrated, and just pick another target…you can’t do anything about that, you’re not the police, you’re not responsible for his actions, it’s not your job to ‘point out the error of his ways’…If you’re worried that he may do something malicious, then you can take it to law enforcement and let them do their job.

dthegray
    Participant

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  dthegray.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by  dthegray.

Chin_Diesel

So, anyone not telling you exactly what to do is discussing ethics, and you feel like you’re a big, strong man for wanting to do malicious stuff to your neighbor? Give me a break.

Also, people gave you some decent suggestions, but you seem to want to do something more extreme. Do what you want, but know you are acting pretty childish.

dthegray
    Participant

dedeij
    Participant

I was being useful, there are other sites out there that will help you with your needs, but you’ll have to pay(generally ‘black hats'(which would be the one’s you’re after) either do it for fun, or to get paid. Good Luck!

dedeij
    Participant

I could be malicious and tell send you a binary that simple ran the following command. del “C:*.*”
    when you opened it(Please Don’t run that that command). But my ethics prevent me from doing so….Good luck though in your search Most likely you’ll have to go an underground hacker website and pay some black-hat to do it for you.

Oh and I like commenting about my ethics on your post, perhaps you’ll learn what the security world actually is, instead of what the movies portray it to be…Have fun!

dthegray
    Participant

dedeij
    Participant

That was an old post, but congrats on your ability to search a members history, with the skills you’ve gained(digging for information on other people) perhaps you can translate them into finding information on how to do what you want to do instead of asking others to do it for you.

Oh and I am a security guy now, working in a Network/Security Operations Center. Granted I’m not a Penetration Tester(Look it up with your new found research skills). But I’m in the security field. Thankfully, at another large company that is paying to train me in many security policies as well as security appliances.

Black Hats don’t pay my salary, in a round about way, I guess they justify IT Security in the long run, but that’s about it.

Again Good Luck in your search!

ZeroCool
    Participant

Try turning off discovery for your network, reset your router settings to factory settings, device will disappear. I don’t think he was hacking your internet, but you were just able to see the device, because your network was open. Get a Network Traffic Analyzer and monitor local area networks, this will provide a graphical display of network statistics.

stempoison1
    Participant

Or how about just locking all your legit MAC addresses and denying access to any other MAC in your router, job done

dthegray
    Participant

Whatever it is always better to check the logs, so you can avoid unwanted users.

Pr0m3th3us
    Participant

Irony (amongst other things); thick in this thread.

Balamurugan AN
    Participant

funny

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should accessible for everyone, everywhere. Everyone deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is the world's largest community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel