Security Clearance for jobsCyber Management

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Cyber Management Security Clearance for jobs

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Chin_Diesel 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

MR. PH03n1X
    Participant

Hello Everyone,
    Does everyone need security clearance to work in information security domain(All domains included eg:Web app pentesting ,network security etc) in U.S ?
    Are there jobs in the information security domain that doesn’t require security clearance ?
    if yes then are they high or low ??

I am asking this because actually I am living in another country and if I move to U.S , I want to make sure that I will be able to work in information security domain.

Dragon
    Participant

@akhil CHALLA: One would either need a Certification such as Security+ to work in Information Security or related experience.
    Having Security Clearance certainly helps and is required for most government, government contract, military and military contract jobs.

Businesses would let you work in Security if you simply work in the field, build up a good portfolio or history of your depth and breadth of knowledge. From what I can tell, it takes a while to get into Cyber Security, to actually work in it. I work for a Consulting company, and I’m trying to break into doing Information Security projects. I’m not there yet.

acummock
    Participant

@akhil CHALLA: I think Dragon said it pretty good. I work in information security and don’t have security clearance. From what I have seen, if you want to work for the government or any defense contracting company, you will need a security clearance. However, the private sector is huge and there is a great need for security professionals in corporate America, where security clearance is not essential.

Chin_Diesel

The past few jobs I’ve had all require security clearances. Basically, if you already have one at the level they require to perform the job, then you are probably placed above most other candidates. If you don’t have one, you will need to obtain one, which means filling out the E-qip background info, and having people investigate everything you put down on there. Oh, and if you put something dumb down to be a smartass, they WILL ask you about that as well. They will investigate everything, so if you lie, you will probably get caught.

Korinkov
    Participant

Working in US Government requires Security Clearance..

Mijke
    Participant

Any background information found to be false can cause you more than your job.

deekshant
    Participant

Most jobs in Police force , Airport required proper clearance and also background checks

DesertLegion
    Participant

To expand a little, probably just restating, security clearances aren’t required for InfoSec jobs. There is an insane amount of jobs that have no federal connections. Government security clearances aren’t cheap for organizations to have their employees cleared. It is also often way more than is needed, even for civilians that work with fairly sensitive materials. For Walmart (random example) InfoSec personnel they would need to know that they can trust them and that is what most places need. Security Clearances give a person eligibility to access classified information, which is often not anymore important than civilian counterparts, but the background check also looks at fidelity to the United States Government, or which ever gov you are going for, which is not even thought about by civilian organizations. With that said, many civilian organizations that have contracts with the federal government or military are still required to have their employees go through the process and receive a clearance due to the high possibility that they will work directly with, or at least come in contact, with classified information. For example, Raytheon. While they have many jobs where a person won’t be dealing directly with military classified information, they are a major military contractor and most positions where a military position would require a clearance, they do as well. I have a bachelor’s degree in information systems with a concentration in cyber security, I even graduated Cum Laude, but when employers look at me, the security clearance is what they seem to be most excited about. Even for jobs that have absolutely no government contact.
    If you are looking at moving the U.S. for work, I wouldn’t worry about the clearance at all. If you are an ideal candidate for an organization that requires one, they will get you one. As long as you qualify. Let them have the headache and the make the payment for it (I’ve seen them run up to around $20,000 for one). Depending on whether it is a Secret or Top Secret, they can be fairly intrusive into you, your family, and at times your friends. Lower level confidential is barely more than a normal background check that any employer would do.
    I would say to find a job first, before moving. There are a ton of jobs available, but most want specific abilities and experience. The market is also shifting locations as well. I am in San Antonio which was poised to be a major cyber player, but it seems to have leveled off considerably and moving north into Austin and Dallas. The market shifts depending on where large companies can get the best deals. That is why many are looking at Texas, because taxes and other stuff is very enticing. Other states are also growing well, I am just here so I am familiar with the local environment. I do know that California appears to many to be a sinking ship for good IT, IS, and InfoSec jobs. I am amazed by how many highly experienced people are moving to Texas for IT work from California.
    I know that this is an old post, but it is pertinent for many people. Hopefully someone finds it useful.

Chin_Diesel

Good info, Desert. You on the Army or Air Force side down there? Im in one of the other Texas places you mentioned.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should accessible for everyone, everywhere. Everyone deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is the world's largest community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel