QUESTION: Career path adviceThe Break Room

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums The Break Room QUESTION: Career path advice

This topic contains 400 replies, has 298 voices, and was last updated by  thanik 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 401 total)
  • Author

heyyydave
    Participant

I was looking into taking the dual cert course they offer one for CEH/CPT and the other CEH/Metasploit, my question is how viable and sought after is the metasploit cert and is it better than the CPT. And as a whole is the course good and worth the $4,000 I will have to cough up? My end goal is to become a pen tester one day I currently have my SEC+ and CCNA. Should I be going a different route first? Thanks for your help

jlwigfall
    Participant

Thanks @tatianna for the information

sadorect
    Participant

@heyyydave

Let me start my response by making this profound statement…

Any investment you make on any noteworthy venture you believe in, is worth all the dime you put in it

– quote me
    Now, Pentesting ( my definition) is the art (and science) of assessing the security of your infrastructure with a view to uncovering vulnerabilities and making amendments or patch the loopholes.

In the course of pentesting your infrastructure, there are several tools that come into play serving various purposes to achieve your set target. METASPLOIT is one of the framework of tools in a pentesting venture. The reason Metasploit is often taken apart to be studied separately is because it is a FRAMEWORK of tools. It is a large warehouse of pentesting tools that enables you to carry out most of the activities you would want to do in a pentesting exercise…and it’s powerful.

Mastering Metasploit though, does not make you a master pentester because it’s just ONE of the Pentesting tools. However, being certified as a pentester actually makes you what you want to be…a PENTESTER!
    You can go for any combination of course that helps you achieve your goal of becoming a pentester. Learning NEVER ENDS. Achieving the STATUS of a pentester is not all there is to be…you keep learning.

In the end, what matters is how well you are able to master the particular tool you know how to use. It is not in acquiring all the knowledge available but, how useful and relevant the knowledge acquired is to you and the goal you’re pursuing.
    Hope you’ve gained some insight in my response.
    I wish you the best in your pursuit!

mayanky
    Participant

thanks

mayanky
    Participant

why everyone keep saying all the best

Jinx
    Participant

I wanted to know about situations and careers in India.

Chin_Diesel

@mayanky, the way to accrue cybytes is to log in once a day, and also to post a message in the forums. While it was meant to try and get people to share thoughts and ideas, even a meaningless post gives them cybytes. Basically, when you see someone post “all the best,” what they are actually saying is “I want a cybyte for the day without contributing.”

CyroCyber
    Participant

Sounds good!

Dragon
    Participant

+1

aibraimoski
    Participant

what are your thoughts of CompTIA Security+ vs. SSCP
    I have to decide which one to go for and am leaning more towards SSCP.
    Down the road I plan to take CISSP

aibraimoski
    Participant

Because they are here only for the cybytes.
    That is why there is not much of a discussion here.
    As long as you have one comment per day you get 2 cybytes.
    I guess they just want that.

burakcan
    Participant

all the best commenter must be warn by mods, its getting worst. i cant read real comments.

aibraimoski
    Participant

They definitely need to do something because like this there is no point in visiting these forums

ebarlow
    Participant

I think that you have a lot of experience already in the admin role. If the role that you posted allows you to work more with Security, than take it. But from what you posted, it seems to be more of an purely admin type of role. You need to be working in some of the 8 domains that comprise IT Security. If you were to work in Access Controls, Business Continuity Management, or encryption, I would say that those would be better options for you. It is tough to break into IT Security when you don’t have any experience in the line of work.

I would also suggest that you work on incorporating some sort of IT Security function within the areas that the role encompasses. That would help you out a lot and will go a long way in helping you get that purely IT Security role that you are looking for.

nemoincilla007
    Participant

here are five things that will impact it security career and would help to grow both as security person and a human being..
    1. get a solid understandings of systems and networks
    2. if you don’t have virtualbox or VMware on your laptop, do it now
    3. read like crazy
    4. take advantages of the training resources available on the internet
    5. build up network in terms of with security people

aibraimoski
    Participant

I think that from the list above, number 1 is the most important as there are many who jump directly onto security and they are reading how to protect systems that they do not understand how they work.

mcbenz
    Participant

best step to next level

bijshr
    Participant

This is proving to be of a great help

psirex
    Participant

I am in a similar situation with my current job – you will be fine.

morganbowlerbrown
    Participant

tough one, im still learning so my advice probably wouldnt be great!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 401 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should be free, for everyone, FOREVER. Everyone, everywhere, deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is a free community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

Cybrary On The Go

Get the Cybrary app for Android for online and offline viewing of our lessons.

Get it on Google Play

Support Cybrary

Donate Here to Get This Month's Donor Badge

Skip to toolbar

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel