QUESTION: Career path adviceThe Break Room

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums The Break Room QUESTION: Career path advice

This topic contains 400 replies, has 298 voices, and was last updated by  thanik 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 401 total)
  • Author

bklynITguy
    Participant

Hi all,

I have a question, and hoping to get some advice here. I ultimately want to get into Security… I’ve worked as IT Support, and a Systems Admin, albeit in a small company. So there wasn’t a ton of exposure there. Mostly Windows Servers, 1 firewall, un-managed switches. So not a lot of Networking experience for me there.

I was recently offered a position and I want to see if it’s something that will not deter where I’m trying to go. I think something like a security analyst or network security is where I want to end up, but i know i need more years of sysadmin experience and some networking…

Here’s a little summary:

I will be responsible for the analysis, design, and implementation of Microsoft Unified Communications (UC) and Cloud solutions.
    Proficient in another Microsoft infrastructure area: Active Directory, Exchange, System Center, O365 and Azure.
    Proficient with network protocols/services and network infrastructures experience
    Have a strong understanding of general network infrastructure and Voice over IP related technologies.
    Experience providing network assessments and troubleshooting client environments
    Experience with load balancers and firewalls
    Knowledgeable with PowerShell and other scripting languages
    Knowledgeable with virtualization

So it’s a lot of project based work, but it will allow me to see multiple clients (large clients, and smaller) with various setups, lots of cloud work (which I know is big these days) and it will get me using powershell, and I know having scripting ability is big in security.

The job does seem interesting to me, and a little different than what I’ve been doing. Does this seem like something that will keep me on the right path to obtain a security position? I know there are cloud security engineers which isn’t something I would rule out. But i guess when I think of security, I think of networking, and firewalls/routers/ etc… I won’t be dealing with a lot of that, but more so on the systems side. Servers, email, etc… And working more in these areas is good for my personal growth, I just wanted so input from my peers 🙂

I think I’m all over the place, but hopefully ya’ll get the drift. Thanks!!

abrasevo
    Participant

Short answer is yes, the position will keep you on a good path for security (based on the job description). You said you’ve been offered the job so I’m guessing you already did the interview, but it’s important to know how much of each of these tasks you’ll actually be doing on a day to day basis. The description is worded like many others and are often times very deceiving when it comes down to what you’ll actually be doing. My job for instance was described with some active directory work, Python scripting blah, blah and really I don’t do any of that, nor is there a need for any of it.

Your admitted lack of network experience is the hole you really need to fill and this job sounds like it may help with that with the added benefit of keeping you in the realm of systems administration. Don’t get hung up on the Powershell scripting (or any other scripting for that matter), if you learn it awesome, if you don’t oh well. Yes, there are some roles in CS where that would matter but most of them don’t require it at all (though it will probably be in the job description anyways). It’s one of those things that if you have experience with it, it broadens the roles you take but if you don’t there are still plenty of options out there for you.

You may be able to skip the lower analyst roles, with your experience in system admin, once you get some networking fundamentals down you may be able to look for system security roles or domain security. Right before you’re ready to hit the market for these roles focus your training on domain best practices and security considerations. The load balancers and firewalls I’m not sure they’re going to really help you for the 2 roles I mentioned but it’s good to have a handle on what they do and how they do it. Now if you want to switch to a more network security role then those will play heavily in your favor. Finally, cloud anything is a good word to have on your resume because many non-technical managers associate “cloud” with “magic”; just remember that cloud is just a fancy word for a networked resources via a WAN.

bklynITguy
    Participant

Thanks for your detailed feedback! Networking is something I have to get some more experience in. There are some good resources here for that, and I have some Cisco stuff that emulates networking in the real world. But I know I need more TCP knowledge, subnetting, understanding how to read/analyze pcap files, etc… I do have my Security + cert, but I really just want to get more real life experience.

Good to know on day to day stuff & about PowerShell. I read a lot and people always say to have some form of scripting experience, but I sort of figured that there are alternatives in the worst case scenario. I took a python class, so it’s not foreign to me, but not something I work with everyday.

I figured Cloud stuff was good. We know what it is, but as you said non-technical managers think it’s some magical place. 🙂 I know that’s a hot item now a days

abrasevo
    Participant

I love scripting, I really do, the problem most people have with it is once you learn the basics what do you do after that? Until people learn how to interact with other applications like SQL, or use it for TCP communications then in most cases it’s more of a gee-whiz kind of skill (which quickly falls out of our knowledge bucket if not used regularly). The best part about knowing a scripting or programming language is that if you understand logic flow at least once in your life then picking it up again later becomes pretty easy. Glad I could help and if you ever want anymore advice just shout at me with the @ symbol! Cheers!

mayanky
    Participant

Please let me know about possible career path.

all the best

Roanny
    Participant

All the best

Tatianna
    Keymaster

Why does everyone keep saying “all the best” ?
    Here’s a good source for information on careers/salaries etc in IT based on Certifications. http://www.itcareerfinder.com/it-certifications/ec-council-certification-training.html

@K0z1can
    Participant

I say go for it…. work outside of your comfort zone… be prepared to work and study all the time…. did I say all the time… yes all of the time. Information Security professionals are always learning and consuming new knowledge… the great ones can apply that knowledge quickly.

Knowing the basics and having a solid foundation is paramount, after that… dedication and hard work will create opportunities.

khandr
    Participant

Cant Agree more! Absolutely correct. With solid understanding of fundamentals, one can go very far but without them, its real hard to sustain. great advices from both Abrasevo and K0z1can.

intelCPX
    Participant

It sounds like your career path is in line with what you want to do, that’s fantastic. Keep up the good work!

inpsyder
    Participant

No respite till you get it right!

danielpoobalan
    Participant

I will take up the offer if I were you. Do not be afraid of challenges even though the tasks may make you feel uncomfortable. The most important thing is keep yourself updated with the latest skills and trends. Start networking with the people of the industry and you may end up with a better offer. Best of luck to you and congratulations!

bdub
    Participant

I say go for it. Maybe you can find a mentor to help you get where you ultimately want to go?

zack hero
    Participant

thumbs up!

chriskdean
    Participant

I am looking to get a A+ certification, will these classes give me the rounded knowledge to take the test and obtain the certification? or should i look into alternative ways to get the A+ certification?

L3nn0x
    Participant

yeah go for it. if you can work outside your comfort zone then you can achieve something and cybrary has provided a best option for noobs and professionals to get their achievements.

gil0rd
    Participant

All the best! Take your free time to study and learn new technologies that make you grow.

bklynITguy
    Participant

Thanks for all the thoughtful feedback everyone. It’s a bit different, but I think it could help me ultimately. There are cloud security engineer positions that could be something I look into eventually. And this will only help me to add new things to my resume. They are also going to pay for me to get MS certifications which are always nice to have. I’m already learning many new things in terms of security that MS offers already in the cloud that I had no clue existed!

Eqbor
    Participant

Keep going, good luck with that! 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 401 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should be free, for everyone, FOREVER. Everyone, everywhere, deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is a free community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

Cybrary On The Go

Get the Cybrary app for Android for online and offline viewing of our lessons.

Get it on Google Play

Support Cybrary

Donate Here to Get This Month's Donor Badge

Skip to toolbar

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel