Python2 vs Python3Python for Security Professionals Course

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Courses Python for Security Professionals Course Python2 vs Python3

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  rveeblefetzer 2 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

rveeblefetzer
    Participant

“Python3 has failed to gain traction?” That’s a bit off, I think.

Maybe you coudld saying that a lot of security tools still use Python 2.7.9, but, really, much of the Python ecosystem is moving toward deprecating Python2.

Simas J
    Participant

I also payed attention to this sentence and I agree with @rveeblefetzer. you cannot say that Python 3 has failed to gain traction, industry is stably adopting Python 3.

rveeblefetzer
    Participant

Hey, @simasj — I was just thinking about this again yesterday. I know that the reason to use Py2 is portability; for the near future, it’s the version that will be on machines. Python 2 gets officially deprecated in 2020, and then who knows how long it’ll linger as the main installed version. But then, i think the question is what is the state Py2/Py3 compatibility for libraries that get used for infosec. I could see a long attrition time of wanting a py2/py3 compatible script or library for these purposes; this is seemingly becoming less a concern in the rest of the Python community, but I was taught (only less than two years ago) to make sure my code is compatible. if there’s a need for it, these would be great open-source porting projects to get into.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should accessible for everyone, everywhere. Everyone deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is the world's largest community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel