Powershell DiscussionMCSA Course

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Courses MCSA Course Powershell Discussion

This topic contains 14 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  cybraryMike 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

BinaryData
    Participant

Hey Guys & Gals!

Alright. I’m creating this discussion after mentioning it to STARK. Powershell is an incredible application. I work with a former Microsoft Employee, and they used it for a lot of things. With that said, let’s create a collection of useful commands that the average Windows SA would use on a consistent basis, and potentially more advanced commands.

novovictus
    Participant

Great idea, as mentioned in a previous post I am a Windows SA, and have been through the 2008 track, but this exam seems to be heavier on the powershell side and Ill need to +1up my skills.

BinaryData
    Participant

Awesome. I’m pushing for SA status. Specifically towards Linux, but I feel I should be well rounded, in case a better job offer comes a long. I look forward to picking your brains, novovictus!

cybraryMike
    Participant

Instead of re-inventing the wheel, here are the already-published list of Windows 2012 PowerShell cmdlets for server roles (see the ToC on the left): https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn249523.aspx Once you determine what it is you’re trying to accomplish, you’l want to learn about loops (eg. foreach-object) and filtering (where-object). That’s explained really well here: http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/powershell/

-Mike Crowley
    Microsoft MVP
    Baseline Technologies

srobin
    Participant

Going though Win 7 and 8 Desktop support (local tech school) and Powershell is used extensively. I am new to PS and would like to find a good resource and tutorial. Especially interested in remote management. The technet site is a good resource. thx

netsysllc
    Participant

PowerShell 3.0 in a month of lunches is a good way to learn, easy to follow book with useful guides.

orldiaz
    Participant

Thanks for the links Mike

roadrunner
    Participant

Thank you for the two links CybraryMike. I will be taking PowerShell courses next month and this is a most helpful start.

sam
    Participant

thank for link

ruaguru2
    Participant

Very good series of tutorials on Powershell.

https://www.youtube.com/user/powershelldon/videos

Logan
    Participant

thanks to all who share the link ☺

GreyWolf
    Participant

Very good Mike!

Microsoft Virtual Academy has some online courses that are a good overview.

Don Jones has some good YouTube video’s also.

mayanky
    Participant

thanks

wm.m.thompson
    Participant

I am familiar with dos commands but powershell commands are new to me.

I have been tasked with writing a powershell command script that does two things:

1. Deletes the contents (all subfolders and the contents of the subfolders) under a particular folder
    2. remove a shortcut from the desktop

if that can not be done with simple commands, maybe the steps need to be broken down:

1. gets a list of subdirectores under a directory
    2. navigates to each of these directories and deltetes the contents
    3. remove the subdirectories
    4. then remove shortcuts from the desktop.

cybraryMike
    Participant

So, what is your question? This isn’t a place to post your homework questions. Please give it a try and feel free to open a new thread with any specific questions you may have. BTW, all native cmd (Windows hasn’t had DOS since Windows ME) commands work in PowerShell as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should be free, for everyone, FOREVER. Everyone, everywhere, deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is a free community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

Support Cybrary

Donate Here to Get This Month's Donor Badge

Skip to toolbar

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel