Part 3 Classic BufferOverflow DemoSecure Coding Course

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Courses Secure Coding Course Part 3 Classic BufferOverflow Demo

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  sanjayscorpio 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

S.B.
    Participant

Hi, I found the course really interesting up until now, but the video Part 3 Classic BufferOverflow Demo lacks a lot of information and is really difficult for a newbie to understand how to successfully exploit the buffer overflow. I mean I know how it works but for someone new to buffer overflows it lacks a lot of passages.

IMHO it would be better to fix the video with a step by step explanation.

Thank you for the course.

Sunny Wear
    Participant

Thank you for your feedback. I agree that the subject of buffer overflows is a complex one that takes quite a bit more time to digest especially since it requires an understanding of the General Purpose Registers and Assembly code commands (at least the main 14 commands). Due to such complexity, I did not go to that level of detail here. However, I can offer you that level of detail in another class that I did which is available on my website (sunnywear.org). I actually explain in great detail assembly instruction code and stack-based overflows coupled with shellcode execution. It’s also freely available to you.

Thanks for your comments. Buffer overflows is one of my favorite subjects so I’m encouraged by your interest in the subject. Have a great day!

S.B.
    Participant

Yeah I understand. I didn’t know of your website, I’ll go check it, there is always something new to learn 🙂

I’ve just completed the course, it was really interesting, expecially the cross reference between OWASP and SANS.

I’ll buy your book too, because I’m not a developer (it’s not my job) and I think it will help me spot code problems during code reviews.

Thank you, have a great day!

812teck
    Participant

Check you tube for supplemental vid’s on buffer overflows
    https://www.cybrary.it/forums/topic/buffer-overflow-exploits-and-defenses/

sanjayscorpio
    Participant

#BufferOverflow

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should be free, for everyone, FOREVER. Everyone, everywhere, deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is a free community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

Support Cybrary

Donate Here to Get This Month's Donor Badge

Cybrary|0P3N

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel