Movies / Shows to watch for Social Engineering PracticeSocial Engineering and Manipulation Course

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Courses Social Engineering and Manipulation Course Movies / Shows to watch for Social Engineering Practice

Tagged: 

This topic contains 20 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Zoran Jovanovic 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author

xMidnightSnowx
    Participant

Hi everyone,

So with Social Engineering and Manipulation Course ready for us to rock, here are some of my suggestions that can help you excel in Social Engineering.

1. Leverage ( 2008 – 2012 )

One of my THE – MOST favorite shows when it comes to Social Engineering / Hacking / IQ bla bla bla. In this show, the main character Nathan Ford ( AKA : Nate ) former insurance investigator and his new friends act as modern-day Robin Hoods, pulling elaborate scams targeted against the greedy and the corrupt. Nate was inspired to begin his con business when his former employer refused to pay for treatment that could have saved his son’s life. Each episode has a good story line , social engineering and the awesomeness!!! Too bad, they ended the show ;( .

2. Matchstick Men ( 2003 )

Roy (Nicholas Cage) and Frank (Sam Rockwell) run a scam that starts with telemarketing a price-inflated water filtration system and ends with posing as federal agents who want to nail the telemarketers. This con starts small and ends with a big-time take.

3. Catch Me If You Can ( 2002 )

This movie is based on the life story of the most infamous Social Engineer of the History, Frank Abagnale.
    While still just a teenager, Abagnale (Leonardo DiCaprio) runs away from home and manages to pose as Pan Am pilot and scam thousands of miles of free flights around the world. While he’s at it, he also cashes millions of dollars in forged checks from Pan Am. In the film, Abagnale also successfully pretended to be a doctor and a teacher before he was caught by the FBI years later.

Lots and Lots of Movies and Shows are out there today on Social Engineering, i only picked the very best of them ( of what i liked ). These movies gives you an idea, clue, and also help you in mastering it.

If you want to see these movies / shows in Android ( or you are from a country where Netflix is not supported ) , then you can view those movies / videos in the link or from the App called ShowBox

ShowBox ( Android App )

Show Box is a great app for both Android and iOS that can help you watch / download videos / movies for free of cost ! Visit the link above and download and install and enjoy.

— xMidnightSnowx

mr_clark

There was another show several years ago that I remember watching…can’t remember the name for the life of me but the guy would do things like go into a bank and break a $50 bill and end up walking out with $200 in his pocket. He’d do other sorts of social engineering attacks of a similar vein. What was weird is that most of what he did was just about how he said things that would get people to do things they would never normally do.

I’ll have to see if I can dig it up again. I don’t think it ran for many episodes.

What about “Sneakers” Movie with Robert Redford, Sidney Poitier, Dan Ackroyd, Ben Kingsley, River PHoenix etc? One of my favorites. Not all about Social Engineering but fun to watch just the same.

Ξ B ☢ B Ξ
    Participant

@jholbrook – I believe you are referring to Derren Brown and one of his series, Mind Control or Trick of the mind

Chambo
    Participant

I mentioned the TV Show ‘Lie to Me’ in the thread below only a short time ago – posting link to save a double post.
    https://www.cybrary.it/forums/topic/social-engineering-part-2-hopefully/#post-27169

FMKonopatski
    Participant

If you are interested – Mr. Robot is a great show that involves social engineering as well.

It is on USA Network and Hulu, but I don’t think Netflix as of yet.

Hope you enjoy it!

xMidnightSnowx
    Participant

You can watch them at http://www.putlocker.is or an app called showbox ( onhax has the ad free version )

jsec1
    Participant

Mr. Robot Seems to be a very good little show. First season just ended.

Chambo
    Participant

I’ve heard many good things about Mr.Robot, but not caught it yet.
    Too much study keeping me away from the watching shows lol – I think I’m overdue catching and highly likely will be a much needed break 😀

tosinakinsowon
    Participant

did anyone know if the movies in discussion is educative. let me know please.

oadominguez
    Participant

Hello, the other day i was watching “Top Cat” you know, the cartoon from Hanna-Barbera, and i relized that Top Cat always fuck everyone with Social Engineering, he is a great example of SE, even before the term was recognized.

Just a Comment, and i will watch Mr Robot soon, it seems interesting.

😀

gimmeapass
    Participant

Thank You For Smoking

MeRLiN
    Participant

Great list so far, I would like to add a few:

The Frame Up
      Femme Fatale
      Hustle (TV show)
      The Great Train Robbery
      Oceans 11, 12 & 13

I know there are more, I just can’t think of most right now. I will try to update this when I remember and may even write a little on them.

Frost
    Participant

Hustle is a must!

Ftech
    Participant

You haven’t mention this movies the “fifth estate” it is about the guy call Julian assange of “wiki-leaks” and its also a true life story of jullian assange the one who hacked NASA,PENTAGON,and some US military network.

Anonymous

Mr. Robot is worth a look, although there are too much drugs and too little hacking. But I like the stories about him hacking other people and most characters are also interesting.

kimterje83
    Participant

tnks mr robot ruled

Cyclex25
    Participant

well mr robot is a drama, which i don’t really like as a genre in itself, anyways this ones been hell of a ride. comparable to breaking bad in its effect imo. so don’t expect it being too much about hacking. its rather a story aside, a pretty good and well researched one though. according the hacking side i.e. anything shown works as shown (btw just like in breaking bad!) and they put particular focus on this. i loved it, great story, looking forward to the 2nd edition…

aside, hustle is great and white collar been smth i enjoyed when i had nothing to watch aside. both more about heists, though lots of input on social engineering issues 🙂 blacklist is really weird and worth a watch. on both, social engineering and profiling issues i found “lie to me” really inspiring! another one i found to be interesting was “the mentalist”….

matter of taste for sure, many i just tried and stick to them though i wasn’t exactly fascinated on the first episodes…. but each mentioned here i watched till the end and each of them have really weird and/or inspiring storys and might be worth to watch for anyone else than me ^^

movies: oh yeah… “limitless” ^^ “thank you for smoking” been already mentioned, just have to agree, thanks for the reminder… and yeah, try “99 francs”!! really enjoyed this one, though you shouldn’t mind the occasional “fearNloathing” style ^^ for a more “insidebrain” experience you really should try “revolver”. weird but worth a watch n a few more!!

cheers

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by  Cyclex25.

Hare-Monster
    Participant

There is a movie that impressed me very much — “Who Am I”. It’s mostly not about SE, but it shows how computer hacking is done with the big help of social engineering.

marianapapava
    Participant

Some of them are. But what you mean by educative? Like… using them as tutorials? 🙂 Nope, those movies already mentioned are not tutorials. guidelines? Could be…

tosinakinsowon
    Participant

link to wash those suggested movies

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should be free, for everyone, FOREVER. Everyone, everywhere, deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is a free community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

Cybrary On The Go

Get the Cybrary app for Android for online and offline viewing of our lessons.

Get it on Google Play

Support Cybrary

Donate Here to Get This Month's Donor Badge

Skip to toolbar

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel