Layer 2?CompTIA Network+ Course

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Courses CompTIA Network+ Course Layer 2?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  zuef 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

tony357
    Participant

Every Source I have ever encountered has listed hubs as a layer 1 device because it has no intelligence. This course states it is a layer 2 datalink layer device.

What is the rationale?

rztztz
    Participant

For the N10-006 you need to know that it is considered Layer1 along with WAP and Ethernet Cables.

Ahmed Diab
    Participant

Layer 1 in Cisco literature states hubs as layer 1 device

404syntaxerror
    Participant

Can seeing a HUB as layer 1 or layer 2 make yourself look like an idiot if you have always known one over the other?

Person A has always known hubs to be layer 1

Person B has always known hubs to be layer 2

Person A and Person B both think the other is stupid for having a different idea of what layer the hubs are.

Brian Idol
    Participant

This course is wrong by calling a hub a layer 2 device. There is no logic behind a hub. Heck there are some hubs that don’t even require a power source. Hub are and will always be a layer 1 device since they are nothing more than a glorified wire splitter.

Switches (by default) live at Layer 2. Routers live at layer 3.

Doomedsole
    Participant

Hubs are layer 1, Switches layer 2 and Routers Layer 3. This is the law of the land. (in most cases)

zuef
    Participant

This error confused me a lot when I encountered it. Could the author update the course and correct the mistake? And how am I to know it’s the only one?

Somehow my trust in the SME is a bit lost now.

If you think about it, it does not make any sense for a hub to be layer 2 since it knows nothing about mac addresses, which is an argument that was used specifically for switches to reason why they are layer two and not three: They know nothing about IP addresses…

Very weird.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should be free, for everyone, FOREVER. Everyone, everywhere, deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is a free community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

Cybrary On The Go

Get the Cybrary app for Android for online and offline viewing of our lessons.

Get it on Google Play

Support Cybrary

Donate Here to Get This Month's Donor Badge

Skip to toolbar

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel