Kali Linux or Ubuntu for Hacking?CompTIA Linux+ Course

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Courses CompTIA Linux+ Course Kali Linux or Ubuntu for Hacking?

This topic contains 64 replies, has 52 voices, and was last updated by  Shoaib 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Author

Devilhaack
    Participant

ok

SP3CT3R
    Participant

Ubuntu is the “Windows” of the linux community, and is more of a crutch for the handicapped than a truly functional distro. Firstly, if “for beginners” speaks to you, then without trying to sound mean, hurt your feelings, or discourage you from pursuing your dreams as a hacker….you have no business using kali for anything other than your base operating system(ie without the security oriented tools). It is actually quite a good version of debian for every-day use. I recommend for beginners to take a deep breath and put in the effort to build debian/kali/ubuntu from one of the super-minimal install iso that are available, doing the googling to know what packages to install in base system and how to configure them, kernel configuration and compiling(cuz for hacking you will most likely need a custom kernel), partition layout, encryption schemes, etc. If you are asking this question, “kali or ubuntu,” perhaps you should take the next few months becoming intimatly familiar with linux and the command-line….like do everything from updates, installing software, and copying files, to downloading from the internet and even watching youtube from the command-line. If this idea scares you, well perhaps you should take the “blue” pill.

SP3CT3R
    Participant

If you are familiar with the command line and switching out desktop environments(ie gnome, KDE, XFCE, etc) is somthing that is not outside your reach, then ubuntu and kali are really not that different, kali is reasonably hardened(for a binary distro) and ubuntu has a larger developer base, meaning perhaps(theoretically) faster updates and better drivers……theoretically. There are also SolydXK, Linux-Lite, Linux Mint, and numerous others “for beginners.” As I said though building your own from only a minimal base system is the best way to learn many of the necessary skills for hacking.
    If you are alitte more adventurous then I recommend building Gentoo using SystemRescueCD

Anonymous

+1 For Kali here.

sunrisett
    Participant

Ubuntu and Kali are both debian based.. Kali is aimed for digital forensics hence its pre-installed with a bunch of forensic tools. Ubuntu isn’t aimed at digital forensics so its not pre-installed with a bunch of tools. Keep in mind since they are both debian based any tool for kali should be able to install on ubuntu. In my opinion Kali is overrated there is a million tools pre-installed out of which you would probably only use 5. For me I use Ubuntu and have the necessary tools i need .. example.. wireshark.

sunrisett
    Participant

Probably if you want to go hardcore use Arch linux

ObsidiusB
    Participant

Both are kinda like the same because Ubuntu and Kali linux are Debian derivatives but in Kali linux, you get more tools for penetration testing, forensics, and so on.
    No matter what distribution you use, Kali or Ubuntu, you get the same results.
    However it’s a good idea to use what they teach here (Ubuntu) if you don’t know your way around linux.

Gov’t Mule
    Participant

It depends on what you are seeking. Ubuntu is a desktop distro, more for daily use. Kali is oriented toward penetration testing, hacking if you will. You can use Ubuntu and install all of the tools included in Kali, but why not just orient towards your specific usage.

Go for Kali Linux..

Anggit Supriyanto
    Participant

With Kali Linux, hacking becomes much easier since you have all the tools (more than 300 pre-installed tools) you are probably ever gonna need.

challyy2k3
    Participant

@fcmam5… u re good.

Gamble
    Participant

I like Kali linux when I need to get it up and running in a pinch, but most of the time, I usually build out a minimal install of CentOS and build all the tools I need on that. I find it that most of the time, I am only using a few tools and not everything that is compiled with Kali.

nazz
    Participant

I don’t think it is a matter of which distro, but more a matter of first learning Linux if you come from Windows. Using a distro with many pre-installed & preconfigured settings makes things too easy so one may not really learn the basic.

The basics would be setting up a vanilla install from scratch and get it to do everything that you need such as network access. surfing, printing etc. etc. In the process of doing so a lot will be learned about the basics of Linux.

Tidalwave
    Participant

Very enlightening.Thank you all.

scuzz
    Participant

Like other people in this thread already mentioned. You can use Ubuntu/Mint/Arch etc as your main OS. Boot Kali from USB if you are going to pentest/hack.Or use virtualbox. Sure you can use Kali as your main OS but why would you? It’s not built for that purpose ( imho).

Sh4d0w
    Participant

Right can only agree with that. Depending on what you are doing use ubuntu for general purpose and for pentesting use kali since there are a lot of usefull tools already within.

challyy2k3
    Participant

@ahmad…. good suggestion u dropped here.

Alvin
    Participant

Sometimes in Ubuntu you don’t need to learn how to use the terminal. I guess it’s better to use kali linux instead since you will be using terminal the most.

samutachika
    Participant

have you guys tried Backbox linux, .. i recommend it , if you are a New Linux user and for Network Admins..
    it accepts most apps and its loaded with pen testing apps too..

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  samutachika.

Albatross
    Participant

I started with Ubuntu then tried out loads of other Distros for a while to settle on Mint with KDE interface for my daily use. Kali is loaded on the Laptop to play and learn. Going to try Cyborg Hawk OS on it soon. Would love to try for an Arch System eventually. Arch or Black Arch.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should accessible for everyone, everywhere. Everyone deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is the world's largest community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

Support Cybrary

Donate Here to Get This Month's Donor Badge

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel