How Isp Tracks My MACNetwork Administration

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Network Administration How Isp Tracks My MAC

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  GogoTraining 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

mrsurya
    Participant

my isp has given me a web portal in which i can login and see my usage details ..but whats more imp is its also shows the ip address and my mac address…how my isp tracking my mac address ?

badfilemagic
    Participant

It is probably the MAC of the outside interface of your home router, which they would necessarily know in order to authorize the router on their network and, of course, send you data. But there is nothing stoping them, if you are using a router provided by them, from having it pass data about devices attached to your inside network through in certain contexts. Software is software, after all.

mrsurya
    Participant

an rj45 cable provides me a internet connection right from my isp office , i can attach it to any device and authorize the pppoe connection by using the given credentials to me , and i use a tplink modem /router to have wifi ,as what i know the isp should not be able to identify any device behind the router , but the login portal(used to track my usage) is showing every device (including mobile phones) mac address . how’s that even possible ?? by the way i bought the router from online not from isp .

Jstear
    Participant

Unless something isn’t setup properly, your MAC Address should never leave the internal network. The router should be the last place your MAC traverses. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on that.

Dragon
    Participant

Your MAC Address is from the Router, Level 2 of the OSI model, it is just to uniquely distinguish a device from other devices. It is primarily to help you. The Router should be the last device that sees MAC Addresses, unless your MAC Address is getting recorded and sent to a database. My guess is that the portal that you’re describing lives on your Router.

tezzanet
    Participant

I agree with dragon, odds are the “portal” is on your home router as layer 2 addresses( mac address) are NOT sent on from the router.

Shoaib
    Spectator

Hi

GogoTraining
    Participant

The router should be the last place your MAC traverses. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should be free, for everyone, FOREVER. Everyone, everywhere, deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is a free community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

Cybrary On The Go

Get the Cybrary app for Android for online and offline viewing of our lessons.

Get it on Google Play

Support Cybrary

Donate Here to Get This Month's Donor Badge

Skip to toolbar

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel