How i can become a professional hacker?Penetration Testing

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Penetration Testing How i can become a professional hacker?

This topic contains 26 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  prempal 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Shubham1696
    Participant

i want to know how i can become a professional ethical hacker…………..i am a complete beginner

• This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by  mr_clark. Reason: wrong forum

StevenE
    Spectator

Hey Shubham1696,

I recommended starting out with the following courses
    1. CompTIA A+
    2. CompTIA Linux+
    3. CompTIA Network+
    4. CompTIA Security+

After building a foundation, you probably will be ready to move onto a specialty (Penetration Testing, Vulnerability Assessment, Incident Response, etc.). Cybrary has plenty of courses in quite a vast array of categories. Take your time and make sure to take notes while you’re at it!

Shubham1696
    Participant

thanks ……………..i had already started compTIA A+ and compLinux+

nitonito
    Participant

good keep it up
    u also need patience and long term study

mr.smith
    Participant

Study and Practice

abrasevo
    Participant

Ok, so let me pop in here and say that getting all the compTIA certs are in no way going to take you from “complete beginner” to “ethical hacker”. I’ll agree with @stevene that this is the appropriate starting point to build your IT foundation but the chances of getting a job with the word “Security” in it from those alone is slim. The scope of knowledge you need far exceeds the foundational knowledge. You need a thorough understanding of TCP/IP, Ports and Protocols, LDAP, Firewalls/switches/routers, Operating systems, Software, Programming, Scripting… the list goes on and on. From the “complete beginner” level you’re about 8 to 10 years out (minimum) before you’ll have the knowledge needed to be even a security analyst.

The certs mentioned above will be enough to get you into a bottom floor IT job (network administration, systems administration, help desk, but NOT security). If you want to try and fast track it you’re going to want your CEH, GPEN, GCIH, OSCP etc. which equates to about $10,000 in certifications just to find out nobody will hire you because you don’t have any IT experience aside from certifications. If you happen to get a security job with only certs, you’ll quickly find out that, unless you’re an IT savant, you’re in over your head. This is the advice I give to just about everyone in your shoes… stop thinking about security for now; get your foundational certs and find an IT job. Work that job for no less than 5 years then go get your CEH and start looking for security analyst positions (your odds of getting one are still pretty slim at this point, but you might get lucky). By this point you should know a direction you want to focus on and look at the certs that take you where to go, but for now forget about security and just focus on how IT works on all levels.

StevenE
    Spectator

Well said!

Working in the computer science field doesn’t mean the end of infosec. I highly recommend taking up a job as a entry level system administrator, and if the the opportunity arises, think of it as paid training. Work experience will also be worth more than a college degree.

Take your time to setup a network, it’s all good experience. Deploy a LAMP stack, and an ELK stack (Google is your friend), but remember to document everything. Documentation can serve as a great way to show recruiters your passion.

Infosec isn’t just a career, it’s a lifestyle.

iron_granny
    Participant

If you are a complete noob start with programming. With out that you won’t be the awesome hacker you want to be.

tonon
    Participant

thanks for all

Korinkov
    Participant

Being certified is a big plus, get certified in CPTE/CPEH is a good start.

Mohamed Goush M
    Participant

how can i improve my knowledge to more professional in the ethical hacking.
    i got finished the begginer what can i do

subirkochar
    Participant

Thanks for the guidance.

jbgoswami2016
    Participant

Hi,

I have 9+ yrs of experience in software testing. Now I want to switch my carrier to security testing. Currently, I am doing CEH certification as well. Can anybody guide me What are the scope and changes for me? How is d future of security testing? as currently I am working on cyber domain in one of the fortune500 company. Do I need to get any additional certification apart from CEH?

progsnob
    Participant

Know TCP/IP inside out. The best books to get for this are the TCP/IP Illustrated books by Stevens. There are three volumes and it’s exceedingly intense but you’ll see why it’s important to know it so well. Also, learn to use a packet analyzer. Wireshark is excellent and there are many books and videos that can assist you. Know Linux extremely well. I bought A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming.

You will need to do a lot of reading and a lot of hands-on practice to truly understand what each topic is about. Just reading about it is not even half the battle.

000ssm
    Participant

Hey anyone can tell me about who are pro hackers.

000ssm
    Participant

You should do certificate of penetration testing or advance penetration testing.

jbgoswami2016
    Participant

Hi,
    I have 9+ yrs of experience in software testing. Now I want to switch my carrier to security testing. Currently, I am doing CEH certification as well. Can anybody guide me What are the scope and chances for me? How is d future of security testing? as currently I am working on cyber domain in one of the fortune500 company. Do I need to get any additional certification apart from CEH?

Can anyone help on this?

ycisec
    Participant

jbgoswami2016:
    I’m in a very similar position as you (16+ years of software testing) and am having some issues getting in the door. My area is very DoD heavy so I went and got the Security+ in hopes that would open some avenues. It kind of did, but without an active clearance I’m not making much headway. I did get my OSCP, and that has opened a few more doors but those interviews either ended with “Thanks, but we’re going with more qualified applicants” (Cyber Threat Analyst position) or me not being willing to relocate to NYC (junior pen test position). I’m getting several folks telling me I should go for the CISSP (or the CASP) so I’m considering that.

It would be worth looking in your area for a DEFCON, ISSA, ISACA, ISC(2), etc chapter and meeting and networking with some of the folks. I’ve had some decent success, and some really good advice going that route.

jcaceres
    Participant

Take the CEH course. (Cerified Ethical Hacker)

bjhill2112
    Participant

That sounds like a good idea.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should be free, for everyone, FOREVER. Everyone, everywhere, deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is a free community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

Support Cybrary

Donate Here to Get This Month's Donor Badge

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel