Have a goal and persistCareer Goals

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Cyber Security Career Goals Have a goal and persist

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  doctorjay 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

doctorjay
    Participant

I have been an embedded software engineer for a long time and since the products I developed did not used to be connected never cared about security. Five years ago I worked on my first connected device with a GPRS modem. The amount of security that I designed in the system was minimum.

Three years ago I started taking my first classes in security. Unfortunately most classes are about IT security rather than embedded systems security.

Slowly I have built my security skills and my security bona fides – mainly on Linkedin. Already I managed to get a single week long contract on embedded systems security with an extremely famous company involved in work for Police departments (where security is of utmost importance).

Today one of the largest companies in my current field (automotive) contacted me about a potential security position.:

I came across your impressive career history on LinkedIn and wanted to see if you were open to a quick call regarding an opportunity we have here at XXXXXXX. We have a XXXXXXX Security Architect, Embedded Software role open in our YYYYYY Texas Location and you have several of the key experiences we are targeting to find. Are you interested in having a short call to discuss your career history, future career goals and our position further? Please forward resume for further consideration to…..

Chances of me getting that position may be low (also I would not move to Texas) but I’ll persist and also use this invitation to join a huge company to persuade my small company to open an IoT security position for me.

My main point is that if you have a goal and persist chances are that eventually you will get that security position you desire. And Cybrary has helped me a huge amount and is prominent in my resume.

It may take another three years but I’ll be working in IoT security before long.

doctorjay
    Participant

I had my telephone interview for that job and it did not go as well as I wanted. So I am taking my own advice and persisting.

I am continuing to learn more about IoT (smart connected devices) security. I know that sooner or later I’ll get the security job I am looking for.

Thanks to all who wished me luck.

812teck
    Participant

Sounds like Toyota…I heard that they were moving to Tx. I agree that persistence is key to being successful in the security field. Thanks for sharing the encouraging information.

doctorjay
    Participant

You are right as far as Toyota moving to Texas. I was working next door to their Tustin (Los Angeles county) campus so know that they are moving soon.

As for me, I’m still looking.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should accessible for everyone, everywhere. Everyone deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is the world's largest community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel