Guide for the newbieCareer Goals

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Cyber Security Career Goals Guide for the newbie

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Mas091 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Strom Shadow
    Participant

Hi, Guys this is Parthiban From India, I have a great interest in Network Security,Me pursuing my UG under the pondicherry university,Here i didint get any proper guide to guide me to go towards network security here they all focusing on software, so can any one give me some guidance from where to start

csmooth
    Participant

Hey Storm Shadow Start with this because it will give you a foundation in Network Security. I would try that first because it will give you a good background. I would stick to classes on penetration testing, because it will give you information on Defense and Attack. Also, this link will show you how to set up two virtual machines and get them talking, so you can practice Defense and Attack. How to set up a test environment And last but not least check out Youtube but for security videos I hope this helps. This site is so awesome!

Alex
    Participant

Thank you for the advice ^^

csmooth
    Participant

I’m glad you found it useful 🙂

Strom Shadow
    Participant

thank you csmooth i vill stick to it

Michyus
    Participant

Thank you 😉

jigglydoom
    Participant

GOOD ADVICE CSMOOTH

jigglydoom
    Participant

sorry for the caps didn’t relies it was on

collvm
    Participant

I just signed up to start taking courses on this site and I have been looking over the forums to get familiar with everything and I am really excited about how much everyone helps out on here with those who have questions. I eventually will start asking a whole lot of questions. I am newbie to a lot of the networking and security but I have completed some courses when I was working on my Bachelor’s so I am hoping that those combined with the helpful information I get from this forum, that I will start to understand a lot more about this area. Csmooth, thank you for sharing the information on virtual machines, I will definitely will be checking that out because it is something I have had an interest in learning.

AJ01
    Participant

I was reading your response to Strom Shadow, and I was wondering how come you didn’t recommend the Network+. I tried to do research and a lot of people suggest starting with that. I guess I’m wondering if it would be wise to skip it or not.
    I have been watching Professor Messer videos on Network+…

csmooth
    Participant

I didn’t think he was completely new to computers. Traditionally, you go A+, N+, then security+. A gives you a background in hardware and software and how they work together. N teaches you about networks and builds on A+. Security+ builds on both and should smooth over your understanding of hardware, software,and networks, as well as, provide a good foundation in security, as it is a baseline certification. I don’t think you are completely new to the technical side of computers either, but it just depends on where you think you stand knowledge wise. A+ is pretty standard for a help desk job just to get your foot in the door and if you work with a good company, in the U.S. at least, they will pay for your certifications and you can use the community here to study. When you start working for a company, they will move you around, if its nice and big and give you exposure to a lot of different things. Just keep moving towards whatever goal you have in mind. I have a lot of friends in IT. I want to be a Pen Tester and get my OSCP. I hope this helps, AJ01.

apremoh
    Participant

Thank you for sharing csmooth! 🙂

Mas091
    Participant

It’s a nice Open Website for Infosec dept, U can join A+ initially then move on the further courses related to Networking & VAPT bcoz on the initial stage U must understand the Hardware Terminologies & its troubleshooting mechanism to resolve the upcoming N/w flaws..!

So, dear start from the step 1 & just keeping on stepping on the Infosec ladder.. 🙂

Enjoy d Infosec Wonderland..!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should accessible for everyone, everywhere. Everyone deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is the world's largest community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel