*facepalm* Diffrence between Network Diagram & Network TopologyNetwork Administration

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Network Administration *facepalm* Diffrence between Network Diagram & Network Topology

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jothi Prakash Anandan 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Cheech
    Participant

Hay peeps

I am really embarrassed about asking this question as I should really know the answer to this but for some reason its never been something I have pondered.

Can anyone explain/show me what if any is the diffidence between a network diagram & network topology because I have searched around for some answers and compared diagrams of both but they look the same to me, not sure if I am blind or the difference is very subtle but I just can’t see it.

Can someone help me out with this lol

Paul Rouk
    Participant

In simple terms, a network diagram is simply a ***drawing*** of how your network is connected.

On the other hand, network topology refers to which design standard you follow to build the network. This can be a bus, ring, or star to name a few. While you can also have a drawing which shows a topology, this is more of a generic network design type, while the network diagram will be specific to an actual installation.

The link below has an excellent discussion of these ideas.

https://www.lucidchart.com/pages/network-diagram

smeek
    Participant

Worst thing is to not ask questions. Most of us learned at least a portion of what we know because someone helped us or answered a question.

I don’t know about those 2 phrasings but I tend to create logical network maps (showing differences in security levels, VLANs, broadcast domains, locations) and physical maps (focused more on interfaces, physical connections, media and similar. Depending on the network size I might create

Logical map starting with gateway router and working inward, firewall, WAN links and VPNs
    Smaller sites I might show public facing devices and their WAN/LAN IPs (Exchange, webservers, so forth)
    Could do a logical map showing router, firewall and switching infrastructure and associated IPs
    Physical map could show router, firewall, IPS, hypervisors and their interfaces into a core switch
    Physical map could just be a switch map with color codings for VLANs
    Physical map could just be squares representing key servers and each servers associated applications, data repositories and key roles

I like to think of it as my map should represent the most common network aspects I would need to know for troubleshooting OR what is different than standard design. Have fun!

Cheech
    Participant

@smeek Thats some great advise thank you very much

Good Thread

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should accessible for everyone, everywhere. Everyone deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is the world's largest community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel