Ethical Hacking – Filling in the gapsOffensive Cyber Security

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Cyber Security Offensive Cyber Security Ethical Hacking – Filling in the gaps

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  chemikal 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

chemikal
    Participant

Hey y’all
    I’m looking for some superior and experienced advice if thats cool?

I’m going to be booking on for QA’s “The Art of Hacking” course within a week or so (course won’t be until April) and I’m looking for some support I guess.

I looked at this first a long time ago – few years. played with metasploit and followed a tutorial. But I didn’t really understand what I’d done. I just did what the tutorial said.
    Since then, I stopped with the hands on, and spent time learning networking and stuff instead. I’m still not a pro at this, but my daily job involves monitoring and managing networks, so I spend a fair amount of time on routers configuring them etc.

Again this doesn’t mean I’m an expert, there is still a great deal I don’t know, things I need help with. If I had to classify my knowledge, I’d say I have a basic understanding of TCP/IP, basic knowledge of some frequent ports, basics of the phsyical media, cable types, connectors etc. Basic fundamentals of linux and CLI.

Despite having some knowledge (that I can’t really describe or categorise) I constantly feel like I’m missing something, like I’m still not grasping it, like there is something that has escaped my understanding. Honestly, I’m worried that I’m going to get on this course and not know or understand a THING that they’re talking about.

What I’d like to know, is what sort of things I need to get under the belt to ensure that I’m primed for when I attend the course. I fully intend on doing the courses offered here obviously. But are there specific areas I need to focus on? any sort of “required basics” that would be fundamental to this type of course?

My current plan of things to cover before I attend the course is as follows (in no particular order):
    Bash scripting:
    I want to get better at bash. I can navigate the file structure add, delete, move files, add user, change password, change owner ship and file modes etc. but I struggle when it comes to advanced stuff, like extended pipes e.g: command 1 | command 2 | command 3 sort of thing as well as advanced bash scripting, using variables. Got a few books lined up for this: Mastering UNIX shell Scripting // Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible third ed. // Unix and Shell programming // Beginning Shell scripting (all e-books)

CompTIA Network+ & Security+
    Brush up on networks and Security+ I haven’t looked at yet, so plan at the moment is to attack it cover to cover, so to speak – That will be videos on here and Study guide book

Python
    possibly others, but python to start with – This and bash scripting are my problem areas – I can never think of things to code that would push me. would be useful if there were online challenges to code particular things.

The problem is, there is so much that I want to learn and to know, like being able to customise the Kali kernel and so much more. Cryptography, viruses / malware etc, data recovery, computer forensics so so much that I’d love to know but simply don’t have the time.

I wasted my earlier years, my time at uni was wasted on games design which, although I thoroughly enjoyed my time at university, was ultimately wasted as I realised Games Design wasn’t for me. I struggle to learn on my own, when I don’t have someone to bounce ideas off of, talk to things about etc. I feel the course I’ll be going on will be useful as it is classroom based with lab access and I’ll have plenty of people to talk to about my curiosity.

I generally struggle with openly explaining myself, so there may be plenty that I missed – If you have further questions, feel free and I will answer honestly.

VINAY
    Participant

Hello,
    Well, I would suggest finding your passion by challenging by playing CTF’s which is like a security games. Go to CTF times(https://ctftime.org/) & play. Based on your information if you find it is hard for and go for some basic CTF’s(https://picoctf.com/) for your own practice.No one will tell you, what you want to become. But this one of the learning by doing – the way to find your interested field over here – play CTF’s and be best in one field instead all. Keep the focus on one area.

chemikal
    Participant

Hey, thanks for the reply @vinay

I have been doing some CTFs – started with bandit on Overthewire.org – That was fun 🙂

I’ll be sure to check those links out too!

I do find that I tend to go off an tangents, but thats only becuase I read things that interest me, and before I know it I’m way too deep and need to go back to basics again 😛

C~

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should accessible for everyone, everywhere. Everyone deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is the world's largest community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel