Dynamic Routing TablesCompTIA Network+ Course

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Courses CompTIA Network+ Course Dynamic Routing Tables

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Cipher 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Cipher
    Participant

Hello, this is my first post here,
    anyways i am confused when Anthony tried to explain Dynamic tables, i know he said “it is automated” and uses few protocols. I just need a simplified version of it, since English is my 2nd language but i understand quite good don’t worry.

Thanks

Paul Rouk
    Participant

Static routing is one that you setup and it isn’t expected to change (not often, at least). If there are any changes in the network, then you need to manually update the routing tables.

Dynamic routing is the opposite. By using routing protocols, the network is able to automatically adjust to any changes in the network. For example, if one of your routers breaks, the network can automatically route traffic around the failure (if possible) until the problem is fixed.

While a small network might use static routing, most larger networks will need to use dynamic routing in order to keep the network running smoothly.

The link below has a more in-depth discussion.

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=2180210&seqNum=5

dedeij
    Participant

The whole point of routing, is to determine what “path” to take from point A to Point Z.

In static routing, we tell a packet EXACTLY how to get somewhere, We define every step along the way, and for the way back.

With dynamic routing, the routing protocols talk to each other, and ‘figure out’ what path take to get somewhere, and what path to take to get back. This is beneficial because when they are talking to each other, they can inform each other of routes that no longer exist.

Think of static routing, like your mom’s hand-written directions to get to the store. Now imagine programming a car to get to the store and back with only those directions, what is going to happen if a part of that path is blocked? The car will stop, and won’t know of any other way. It simply isn’t aware of any other way to get there.

Think of dynamic routing, like a modern gps, you program in the destination, and go. It ‘figures’ out the route along the way.

Cipher
    Participant

Ah, Thank you all, it helped me understand better, much appreciated.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should be free, for everyone, FOREVER. Everyone, everywhere, deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is a free community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

Cybrary On The Go

Get the Cybrary app for Android for online and offline viewing of our lessons.

Get it on Google Play

Support Cybrary

Donate Here to Get This Month's Donor Badge

Skip to toolbar

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel