DilemmaApplication Security

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Application Security Dilemma

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  agihammerthief 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

ARAVIND
    Participant

iam a bit confused should i learn security+ and network+ before learning pen testing and ethical hacking?

Wireshark
    Participant

Well, if you don’t want to be (and stay) a script kiddie, you should know some basics in networking, programming and operating systems.
    e.g. you cant get a professional in SQL injection if you dont know SQL.

ARAVIND
    Participant

well wireshark i know basics of sql c++ c php html so now is it enough to learn pen testing

Wireshark
    Participant

I’d also recommend to learn some basics in networking and gain some experience with windows and linux. However, you surely can also start learning penetration testing.. A good idea to start is to download kali and metasploitable as virtual machines. Kali offers many tools preinstalled, metasploitable is a vulnerable machine.

ARAVIND
    Participant

sir i have dwnloaded kali frm the official site but wen i run on vm box it says

“this kernel requires an x86-64 CPU,but only detected an i686 CPU,
    unable to use please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU”

wat to do

Wireshark
    Participant

In the BIOS is a virtualization setting which should be enabled to run 64 Bit Machines. However, I saw in a forum post that 86x bit machine would run anyway
    (https://hereirestinremorse.wordpress.com/virtualbox/this-kernel-requires-an-x86-64-cpu-but-only-detected-an-i686-cpu-unable-to-boot-please-use-a-kernel-appropriate-for-your-cpu/)

ARAVIND
    Participant

but iam using win7 64 bit!!

Wireshark
    Participant

That’s doesn’t matter, you have to enable Intel Virtualization Technology in the BIOS Settings.
    Here is a guide how you can enable it(http://www.sysprobs.com/disable-enable-virtualization-technology-bios)
    You have to enter a key (on most computers F2 but it depends) when you see the boot screen from the manufacturer.

Chin_Diesel

^That. Also, if the pre-built VM isn’t working for you, just download the ISO and build the virtual machine yourself.

Wireshark
    Participant

The result would be the same. A VM shares the ressources with the physical system, this needs to be enabled first.

ARAVIND
    Participant

bro i did as they said in bios and cheked with the soft they say and it says virtualization enabled but still have the same problem in running kali

Paul Rouk
    Participant

@newboy, take a look at the two links below which seem to apply to your situation. The two recommendations listed below are taken from the second link. It sounds like you have enabled #1, but you might need to verify #2 — you have to tell VirtualBox that you are installing a 64-bit OS. The first link has a good picture of this step during installation.

1) 64-bit guests need hardware-virtualzation enabled in the hosts bios.
    2) when creating the 64-bit guest you must select 64-bit in General -> Basic -> version.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/308937/cannot-install-ubuntu-in-virtualbox-due-to-this-kernel-requires-an-x86-64-cpu

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66334

cybermo
    Participant

Thanks for sharing.

ARAVIND
    Participant

anyway i started pen testing and ethical hacking

agihammerthief
    Participant

Thanks for the helpfull links

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should be free, for everyone, FOREVER. Everyone, everywhere, deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is a free community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

Support Cybrary

Donate Here to Get This Month's Donor Badge

Cybrary|0P3N

Is Linux Worth Learning in 2020?
Views: 331 / December 14, 2019
How do I Get MTA Certified?
Views: 923 / December 12, 2019
How much does your PAM software really cost?
Views: 1376 / December 10, 2019
How Do I Get into Android Development?
Views: 1754 / December 8, 2019

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel