Crafting packets for a precise targetPenetration Testing

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Penetration Testing Crafting packets for a precise target

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  roya0045 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

roya0045
    Participant

Greetings,

I’ve been looking at IP routing and there’s something I don’t understand.

Let’s say I want to send a packet to a particular end-user on another network. I know that with some tools you can send a packet to a server’s particular port, but is that even possible for a typical end-user.

Let’s say I wanted to ping port 32 of my neighbour’s computer, we are both on distinct networks. My guess would be that the packet would have to contain the IP of his local network to reach it over the internet and then his MAC address to deliver the message to the proper recipient.

So how would one go about this task(if it’s even possible) and how would dynamic IP influence this process?

(this would equal to obtaining a reply packet from a server that is contacted by an end-user but how does one create such a packet without receiving a SYN.)

Chin_Diesel

If you wanted to check to see if a port is open on a target, you’d have to know your targets IP, or the name of their system in DNS (which likely isn’t going to happen for a neighbor). Keep in mind almost everyone is on a home network nowadays, so they are all NAT/PAT IPs that arent publicly routable, so you would need to know the IP of the router.

Also, if you want to send packets without sending a SYN, then use UDP.

roya0045
    Participant

Thanks,I’ll look into that for more info!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should accessible for everyone, everywhere. Everyone deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is the world's largest community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel