CompTIA – Cybersecurity Analyst+Defensive Cyber Security

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Cyber Security Defensive Cyber Security CompTIA – Cybersecurity Analyst+

Tagged: 

This topic contains 25 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Steve L. 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author

S3nt1n31
    Participant

For those of you wanting to really break into the Cyber Security world — Your wait is almost over.

https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/cybersecurity-analyst

I just took the BETA exam today after getting an invite from CompTIA – won’t know if I passed until this fall. 400 people have to take it and then they will assess our scores. The exam is only $50 for the Beta version.

There is a pathway on the CompTIA site describing what this certification will cover and the path one can take to achieve higher certifications later. Even though the highest path is CASP for CompTIA. One could also split off after earning CSA+ — and head over to Mile2 and pick up the CPTE to round out a great skill set.

I have no idea the actual cost of the actual certification…it’s listed right above Security+, which is $311 right now….so CSA+ could be around the same or a bit higher. CASP is $414…so I would think that CSA+ will be at Sec+ or at least below CASP. Regardless, it will still be better than say ECC CEH at $500 + app fee of $100 = $600.

With DoD now moving to 8140 and scraping 8750 this past SEPT 2015, where 8140 does not list certifications, but the skills being sought for their cyber warrior initiative….CSA+ will fill that gap. It’s cost effective and competitive – plus it will be obtainable for those persons wanting to break into the Cyber Security World that lack extra funds.

I’m grateful that CompTIA felt the need to create this certification. I suggested that they come out with a Hacker+ back in 2014 and I’m sure others gave their opinion as well — so now it’s coming out soon. So hang in there guys — keep studying – practicing your skills in your VM labs – get your free training here…and soon you’ll be in the job you want and doing what you love to do!

Best to all!

anash28
    Participant

@s3nt1n31 your link may have been updated since you have originally posted https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/cybersecurity-analyst the exam seems to be $50

S3nt1n31
    Participant

@anash28 — Right now – the CompTIA CSA+ is in BETA format. Once 400 have taken the BETA EXAM – scored – and edited as necessary – then the official one will be released 1Q 2017. This is a trial run to see how people in the IT security field test on it (How many pass from knowledge)…I have no guarantee that if I do pass that I will even get a cert out of it…I’ll see later on this year…

So yes – right now it’s $50 for those of us taking the BETA EXAM (trial run) – I have no idea if I passed or not until this fall. But it’s not the official version – that one will come out later in 2017.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by  S3nt1n31.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by  S3nt1n31.

Kowalski
    Participant

Bad I didn’t see it b4

yago90
    Participant

Hi, I am a new user, only one question the certifications are free, or I have to pay something to get it?, thanks in advance.

S3nt1n31
    Participant

@yago90 – the training courses that you find here on Cybrary are free.

Certifications from industry vendors such as CompTIA, Cisco, Microsoft, SANS, Mile2, ISC2, etc have to be purchased and then maintained. There is nothing free from those guys. Having certifications means you should have a IT position that requires such and therefore, you have the salary to purchase other certifications to increase your worth and skill set – plus the time to maintain those certifications through Continuing Education (CE) or CE Units (CEU).

Look up the CompTIA IT Roadmap – and see what area of the IT world you want to get into and start at the beginning and work up from there. Usually, most people earn CompTIA’s A+ (901/902) first. You can get a pretty good job with that one – and it’s not easy despite being first or listed as a beginners!

Anyone obtaining A+ should be damn proud they got it!!! It’s 2 exams and it’s alot of information to learn.

Best to you,
    j

yago90
    Participant

Thanks a lot for the information provided, I will consider that and perhaps thinks in other platforms with dif. possibilities.

jwc.it.studio
    Participant

I took the beta exam to try it out hoping I would get a score by fall… new update states I won’t know till Q1 2017 :'(

S3nt1n31
    Participant

well…..I guess I’ll be waiting until JAN/FEB time frame….I wonder why so long??? Oh well, it was $50 and an experience to sit for something like that….I really believe it will be some serious competition for ECC CEH…the sim’s were pretty serious as well…

Maus
    Participant

I took the beta exam I hope I passed, still waiting for the results.

S3nt1n31
    Participant

I just got this from CompTIA:

October 24-28, 2016
    CSA+ Cut Score Workshop

CompTIA CSA+ Cybersecurity Analyst is our newest exam, scheduled to launch early next year. Looking for IT security professionals with at least 5 years’ experience working in the IT security field.

So – it looks like the workshop is being held in OCT to determine the cut-off scores and the weight of the beta exam before we get out actual scores…oh well, I still enjoyed the thrill of walking in and testing my abilities on a brand new exam – even though I dropped $50 on it…

/.7@L0N!!
    Participant

I got the results for the CompTIA CSA+ today. 780/900, not stellar, but its a pass!

S3nt1n31
    Participant

My score was below the cut-off — the simulations sank me. It goes to show that knowing and studying are quite different in the testing world of what the exam regulators want to test on. Regardless, I’ll approach it later in the Fall 2017 if time permits, I would like to see the actual study guide first. There were a several questions that could be argued – but hence, I didn’t sit on the design board.

Study and Preparation is key when approaching these exams. Some of the material I deal with daily was different from what I saw on the exam. Despite this, the study guides will be available in April and May.

Pearson: https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Cybersecurity-Analyst-Guide-Certification/dp/0789756951/ref=pd_sbs_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0789756951&pd_rd_r=FVJMAQWQC9NE1ZEYD43G&pd_rd_w=RGlZs&pd_rd_wg=MqunC&psc=1&refRID=FVJMAQWQC9NE1ZEYD43G

Sybex: https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Cybersecurity-Analyst-Study-Guide/dp/1119348978/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1481196277&sr=8-4-fkmr1&keywords=Cybersecurity+Analysis%2B+Study+guide

Neither description stated that there are labs, practice questions, and any other prep beyond just the printed material. I will say, the exam objectives could be grouped in about 3 to 5 main areas of IT Security. With that, look forward to seeing the final product.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by  S3nt1n31.

corey.richardson
    Participant

Would you say this is wildly different than the security+ ? If so, how?

/.7@L0N!!
    Participant

Think of this more as a continuation of Security+, it is supposed to serve as the in between certification before your ready for the CASP. Sec+ is more foundational, there is more tool knowledge expected with CSA+.

S3nt1n31
    Participant

@corey – I would say pick up the Official Study Guide from Pearson View (released in APR 2017) and see what they are testing for. The simulations is key for this one. It’s no secret now with the beta testing over, those B-exam takers that passed did so because they understood firewall logs and how to read them.

The Official Study Guide should go into this with a DVD full of labs and practice sims that accompany an exam engine. CSA+ is going to be a direct competition with CEH from EC Council and CPEH from Mile2. This would also be a great cert to have if one is in a Tactical Ops Center (TOC) watching traffic and analysis of possible compromised databases within a larger IT environment. You have to know Security+ material, but also know a little about digital forensics & ethical hacking as well. It covers very closed in “cyber topics” and will probably be a mainstay in future cyber ops. This will definitely be “eye candy” for HR departments and will soon show up on job postings.

Barry
    Participant

I failed too..

Those interested may want to join the webinar tonight @ GMT+8

Barry
    Participant

I failed too..

Those interested may want to join the webinar tonight @ GMT+8

S3nt1n31
    Participant

@barry – did you attend the webinar ? How was it? Did you learn anything that you can share? Thanks!

Barry
    Participant

Very much the same as what they could provide in their website. It’s more telling how CSA+ could work in the current lanscape.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should be free, for everyone, FOREVER. Everyone, everywhere, deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is a free community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

Support Cybrary

Donate Here to Get This Month's Donor Badge

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel