Cloud Storage OpinionsCompTIA Cloud+ Course

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Courses CompTIA Cloud+ Course Cloud Storage Opinions

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Slayerpre 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Om
    Participant

I’m unsure if this area of forum is open to subjective discussion, but I would like to talk about and read about your opinions on cloud storage and cloud access. It seems to be a very recent development in the field of technology. What are its benefits and its detriments? How do any of you feel about it?

Ibtihel
    Participant

Hi Om
    what are you using for reading

players
    Participant

I guess its ok for some situations, I find it pointless at the moment as I just carry any needed files on a USB from machine to machine or via a direct connection on a network.

But it would be useful if I went from country to country and I needed a file.

Om
    Participant

That is a good point. It’d be useful for when you cannot physically bring anything anywhere other than yourself. How is cloud storage security? I find it to be untrustworthy.

drakhan2002
    Participant

Om,

Cloud computing security is a huge subject in and of itself. However, some people say that cloud security is often better than private organizations’ security – why? Economies of scale. Because Cloud providers have many tenants, they can often buy the best security technologies and solutions available. If they operate in the regulatory space (PCI, HIPAA, CJIS, EU safe harbor, etc.) they have to comply with laws about data protection and privacy laws. They get audited and have penetration testing occur regularly. Moreover, Cloud providers often have a vested interest in maintaining a secure environment. They seek customer trust – if they lose that trust their business would be destroyed.

Most new people to Cloud computing have the persception that Cloud computing is untrustworthly. And rightfully so, it because their awareness, knowledge, and experience is limited about Cloud computing. But as they learn more and become more experienced some of those fears go away.

The best strategy if you’re putting your data in the Cloud is to have a local backup – for a number of reasons: Cloud provider goes out of business, you can’t access the Cloud provider for some reason, you get upset and don’t want renew your contract, etc.

Anyway, keep learning you you’ll soon discover how powerful the Cloud is and will be in the next few years.

Mrdavi51
    Participant

Hi,
    Cloud storage is good from my point of view, I like the fact you don’t need a USB and with two factor authentication methods it helps to add a layer of security and places such as One drive have other features such as online document editing and version history control (this is used a lot in University work). Lucky I do not store personal information on CS. From that point of view I would be reluctant to store information such as company data or personal finances/photos on Cloud storage as because of its nature your data is everywhere. I guess the question you should answer is what do you want to store?

drakhan2002
    Participant

I partially disagree with Mrdavi51, while Cloud computing does allow your data be “everywhere”, you can stipulate in the SLA or the contract that your data live in certain data centers in certain geographical areas. Of course, you have to trust the Cloud provider to live up to the contract/SLA. In this case, make sure you have stiff pentalities (usually a liquid damage clause) so can get money back in the event of the provider breaking the deal.

Another aspect of business data in the Cloud is the concept of “data sovereignty” (which is a more legal aspect of where data can be stored in the Cloud; think the U.S. Patriot Act or EU’s Safe Harbor regulations). Here certain country’s governments make laws about privacy or where data can reside (usually within thier boarders). Countries like Russia and China have very strict laws in this regard. Data that is “sensitive” in nature needs more controls on it than mere regulations – proper authentication and access controls, encryption at rest and in transit, network segmentation, and even Cloud provider administrator background checks are all good security practices to ensure your data is protected (and those are just high level suggestions).

Om
    Participant

drakhan2002, it is always healthy to enter every new thing with doubt or skepticism.

Also, citing China for strict Internet laws is true. Just read this article as evidence to support your point.
    https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/blog/2015/10/in-china-your-credit-score-is-now-affected-by-your-political-opinions-and-your-friends-political-opinions/

Of course Mrdavi51! Using cloud storage for your personal data is unsafe. That is like handing your car keys to a stranger and expecting your car to remain unstolen.

Slayerpre
    Participant

there is much to read on the internet

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should accessible for everyone, everywhere. Everyone deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is the world's largest community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel