CISSP or CISMCISM

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Courses CISM CISSP or CISM

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  emb021 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

xxbones007
    Participant

I am pretty much confused on what to take in exams. can someone help please

BNgacTKD
    Participant

Both are great Cyber Management Exam. If you are newer in the field, I recommend the CISSP (especially if you are working for the Federal government or contracting with them). If you are more experienced in Cyber management, then the CISM may be better. If you want to get both like I did, I recommend you go for the CISSP first then the CISM.

xxbones007
    Participant

thanks. I appreciate

ralcorn
    Participant

I am also curious about this one. I have the CISSP and was wondering about the value of adding CISM.

emb021
    Participant

The CISSP and CISM don’t cover the same thing.

The CISSP is seen as a general, broad information security certification for senior level people. The CISM is more specific for people involved in security management (tho you don’t need to be an actual security *manager*) to get it.

As one instructor I had for the CISM, the CISSP is about your *knowledge* of infosec, while the CISM is about your *wisdom* of infosec.

Its telling the ISC2 has even created a trio of concentration certs attacked to the CISSP, one of which is for infosec management. However, its not seen as valuable as the CISM.

The CISM cert does have value, and for some positions I do see it listed as a cert they’d like the candidate to have.

I would agree with the first poster about getting the CISSP first, then go for the CISM. I also recommend people take a look at the application for the CISM so they know if they are doing the tasks that will get them the cert, as ISACA and ISC2 do things differently in applying for their respective certs.

FWIW, I have both.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should accessible for everyone, everywhere. Everyone deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is the world's largest community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel