CISCO of Network +Network Administration

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Network Administration CISCO of Network +

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile image for dedeij dedeij 1 day, 6 hours ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile image for cyborg88
    cyborg88
    Participant

I am new to the Cybrary forum and I am just a little confused with my career path. I have an Associates Degree in Computer Networking Systems from ITT Technical Institute and I am trying to become a Network Engineer.I have no certifications and I do not know where to start. Some say I should start with Cisco,but some also say I should start with Network + what is your honest opinion

Profile image for harris3563
    harris3563
    Participant

cyborg88,
    I don’t know how far along you are with ITT Tech but I would seriously consider a different school!! I know here in Maryland they have been completely shut down..

Profile image for smeek
    smeek
    Participant

We look for Network+ for all of our incoming people. If you understand networking, you can eventually learn Cisco and CCNA hands on type activity. Server+ and other similar content is much cheaper to come by if you are paying to get up to speed. Once in the door with a company, vendor specific training can be cheaper or more readily available.

If you have a CCNA but no other experience, I would be scared to use you on Cisco projects because you don’t have enough knowledge of everything else. Once you get into a firm and have hands-on access to the technology, it will be easier to pass the CCNA (which is a harder but more product specific type test).

I’d suggest get Network+ and start as a small network consulting firm/MSP’s Help Desk. You’ll be loved and get access to lots of free training (save money).

Profile image for cyborg88
    cyborg88
    Participant

I have completed my Associates Degree in Networking Systems

Profile image for smeek
    smeek
    Participant

No offense but as harris3563 pointed out, all programs are different. Certification helps make sure you know what you think you know. When I interview, it amazes me that many graduates can’t tell me basic things like

What is your process for troubleshooting?
    What is the importance of DNS in a Windows network?
    What are some commonly used DHCP scope options?
    Name me 10 of the standard ports used in networks?
    What why would you want a layer 3 switch?
    What are common events in a windows System log?
    How would you diagnose a PC that can’t connect to the Internet?

Even still, Network+ is just a beginning.

Profile image for jdemery7
    jdemery7
    Participant

I am also newish to the forum. I have been contemplating the CCNA for years, and I am finally a few weeks out from CCENT. The research I have done, is that the CCENT and the Network+ are fairly similar. Get the Network+ first if you are super green to networking. If you have some basic knowledge, skip the N+ and get the CCENT, then you can get your CCNA certs as you see fit.

Profile image for mvergauwen
    mvergauwen
    Participant

I’ve not done the Network+, but have done the CCNA (twice) along with the CompTIA A+ and a number of Microsoft cert exams. It is my understanding that the Net+ has some good content, and is vendor neutral. This may be a good place to start if you don’t have a strong understanding of networking. Of all of the cert exams I’ve taken, the Cisco exams are by far the most difficult. Hope this helps in your decision, and good luck in future endeavors!

Profile image for prouk
    Paul Rouk
    Participant

The Cisco CCNA can be earned either through taking one big test, or by taking two separate tests which each cover about half as much material. Unless you are already working with Cisco equipment in your job, most people recommend taking the two separate tests since they are more suitable to someone who is new to Cisco technology.

Profile image for towloo
    Towloo
    Participant

From experience in the field, Network+ will be more preferable, with the certification you will be useful in any IT company independent of wheather they are using Cisco products or not but with CCNA you are only useful for companies that use flat Cisco equipment in their rack.Even when they are using flat Cisco product, with CCNA you can only work with the basic configuration and not advanced technologies like EIGRP Named Mode, BGP, MPLS etc. So think of Network+ then Security+ before vendor specific certification.

Profile image for dedeij
    dedeij
    Participant

As someone with a Network+, and Security+, also my JNCIA….

I’d say go for the CCNA. Network+ isn’t vendor specific. However, it will essentially be a rehash of your degree.

I was fortunate and my first job out of school was at a larger corporate NOC. They weren’t specifically Cisco..but there was an expectation that everyone in networking should have at least a CCNA. The Network+ is seen as easier by many(and it probably is…still not a CCNA). So it isn’t going to hold as much weight as a CCNA..to most companies. Some understand the value of vendor neutral, but most honestly look at the CCNA as a “beginner networking cert”.

In summary CCNA will get you a job in the field faster(and probably better pay), then a Network+

Had both engineers and HR personal compare Network+ and CCNA, Here’s the general consensus(at least from my peers)

Network+(High School)
    CCNA(Associates)
    CCNP(B.A Degree)

At least that’s with my peers. But as always every company is different. But for sure CCNA is more marketable.

Network+=Help Desk position. CCNA=Entry Network engineer. Well that’s my opinion anyway

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should be free, for everyone, FOREVER. Everyone, everywhere, deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is a free community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

Cybrary On The Go

Get the Cybrary app for Android for online and offline viewing of our lessons.

Get it on Google Play

Support Cybrary

Donate Here to Get This Month's Donor Badge

Cybrary|0P3N

Best Security Podcasts for 2017
Views: 1906 / January 17, 2017
How to Protect Online Privacy
Views: 1383 / January 17, 2017
SQL Injection: Best practices and projects
Views: 4254 / January 16, 2017
Visibility is the New Stealth!
Views: 3006 / January 15, 2017