Career Path AdviceCareer Goals

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Cyber Security Career Goals Career Path Advice

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Keith 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

redslay5
    Participant

Hello,

I am looking for some advice on where to transition my career path towards. I have recently graduated with a BS in security, received CCNA and security plus all on my own dime because my company does not offer continuing education. I am extremely interested in IT security but, I don’t know what path to go down.

What is the best way for one to discover if they like pen testing, ethical hacking, security analyst or security engineer route?

Where is the best place to start?

Any job I apply to seems to want more security experience than I have so, what can I do to gain the experience without getting a new job?

I would be grateful for any feedback that you may have.

Thanks

Keith
    Participant

Like you stated experience is going to really help you find a position.

Does your current company or position offer you any way to start getting on the job experience? Can you “create” a project to start getting experience within your company?

I work for a smaller company (130 employees) and have been responsible for all of the security initiatives. While my job title is Network Manager I’ve helped management understand the need for security and implemented solutions such as managed IPS & IDS, AlienVault SIEM, phishing using KnowBe4, security awareness training, endpoint lockdown, written security policies, firewall hardening, network segmentation, expanded DR, etc.

Not sure your position or company but if you can do these types of things you can put all of that on a resume as experience.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should accessible for everyone, everywhere. Everyone deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is the world's largest community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel