best phone for hacking ?Advanced Penetration Testing Course

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Courses Advanced Penetration Testing Course best phone for hacking ?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  shashank345 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author

yhi
    Participant

i am bored with my old smart phone & i was thinking about buying a new one
    but this time i was thinking about a phone which i can use for pentesting
    i do have a laptop for hacking but..
    laptop is heavy + when ever i open lappy all people around me are like “WTF are you doing..?”
    & thats little awkward & also i dont always carry laptop

but i will carry phone 24*7 😛

but i am not sure this decision is correct or not
    maybe its not a good idea
    so i want suggestion

anyone here ever tried pentesting with smart phone ????

i was thinking about buying a oneplus one (because nethunter is not available for oneplus 2 )

anyone here know better phone for pentesting ?

PS

i do pentesting as a parttime
    its just a hobby
    i am not a pro.

Panoshoopaz
    Participant

You can check on the courses about smartphone pentest,maybe its somethin good to try,why not?:)

C Baughman
    Participant

I will always recommend the Google Nexus series. Not only are they the ONLY one’s that aren’t littered with too much garbage, and purely stock, but they are the only one that you will not void warranty for rooting in the states. I know i’ve been able to get all sorts of things working great on my Nexus 6 like: Kali Nethunter https://www.kali.org/kali-linux-nethunter/ and https://www.zimperium.com/zanti-mobile-penetration-testing. Plus, you’ll always have the latest Android available (with security fixes and such). Works great for me! I even have my external TP-Link TL-WN722N usb wifi adapter working with aircrack-ng suite. So the Nexus phones are definitely worth consideration.

truth998877
    Participant

Nokia n900, proper linux and packet injection in your pocket

yhi
    Participant

@panoshoopaz
    i think you didnt get me
    i am just asking is
    pentesting with smartphone is a good idea or not ?
    & evenif itsa good idea
    which device will be best…

@c Baughman
    thanks for your suggestion
    but dont you think nexus cost is very high ?
    i dont want to spend more than 310 $
    & cost of nexus 6 (64 GB) is 540$

also bro will you please share your experience with using your nexus for pentesting 🙂

@truth998877
    ya i know
    i read about that on some forums
    i think its the only phone which support packet injection

but dont you think 250$(prize at amazon.com) is a lot for a 256 mb ram, 5m camera,600mhz processor ,1320mah battery

truth998877
    Participant

They can be got second hand on eBay in the UK for £50 to £80, $250, way to high a price!

C Baughman
    Participant

The other Nexus devices are good too, 4 and 5 if you can get them. I happened across a deal with mine and renewing my telco plan.

I’ve had success with zanti and ARP poisoning, but in the past I had great luck with an HTC device I used to use and am older app that I cannot get to work on Android 5 or 6 called http://droidsheep.de/ which I’ve sniffed many cleartext email passwords with. Nethunter was great though after I bought that $19 WiFi dongle, and have used the Evil Access Point with success, but use it, as well as a few other tools in conjunction with WifiKill http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1282900 which is great for de-authing your victims after of course copying down Mac addresses (for changing your Mac) and things for connecting to hotspots with that sort of security! But, I don’t mean to hijack the thread, just trying to give you ideas.

Really any phone that you can fully unlock the bootloader on will do, this of course is for rooting, custom kernels like this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/development/kernel-pwnkernel-pwn-networks-based-t3020048 but there are similar offerings for other chipsets, the key is to remember to go with something that you can see on the xda-developers site has the ability to unlock the bootloader and install custom kernels, the oneplusone devices are great too, but there are many. The custom kernel you want will have a module for supporting a dongle that allows packet injection for cracking WiFi with aircrack. But there are so many other cool things you can do, I am nearly scratching the surface.

Panoshoopaz
    Participant

My opinion is Something with android ofc 🙂

Aquib Khan
    Participant

Yes, Nexus 5 is a good choice but HTC is also good…

acetolyne
    Participant

smartphones are fine for pentesting just not for bruteforcing passwords of course or generating passwords with john the ripper or another program. It simply takes to much resources. You can also install backtrack and probably Kali on your smartphone with a little bit of work and an SD card. when I tested out Backtrack it was not perfect but it worked. Good luck and let us know what you decided on and how it worked for you!

Betawolf
    Participant

Get the one plus one, 64gb version $300 dollars and then boot it with kali nethunter.

milli_mustang
    Participant

I too think the best option is to go with the One+. But if it supports, HTC is also a good candidate as @aquib Khan told..I would also like to try out the same 🙂

whoop whoop
    Participant

i have the oneplus one, and needles to say im very pleased with the opo in combination with nethunter

Sardar Shaikh
    Participant

+1

Naveen Yadav
    Participant

Mi 4 is also a gud option
    or Mi tab 4G

sanjeev
    Participant

All the android mobile are based on Linux so android is best mobile for hackers.
    wifi packet sniffing,wifi kill,lucky pacher,donkey guard etc.. these are the android app that free available in the market and easy to use.

sudoflash
    Participant

For cheap nexus 5 or one plus (128gb model) , if you have money to burn the Samsung galaxy s7 loaded with nethunter thumbs up for jcadduono on xda . Cheers and let me know what you end up buying . Oh some extra things to buy is an otg cable,alfa wireless adapter ( dualband) and a wifi pineapple from the hak5 shop .

yhi
    Participant

@sudoflash i think we have better options now

i was still researching & i found some very cheap smartphones in which we can add nethunter also
    maybe will post a OPEN about it 🙂

i hope i will not brick my new device
    lol
    pray for me 😉

mr.smith
    Participant

android

HakTuts
    Participant
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should be free, for everyone, FOREVER. Everyone, everywhere, deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is a free community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

Cybrary On The Go

Get the Cybrary app for Android for online and offline viewing of our lessons.

Get it on Google Play

Support Cybrary

Donate Here to Get This Month's Donor Badge

Skip to toolbar

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel