Beginner: Building a skills in Penetration TestingPenetration Testing

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Penetration Testing Beginner: Building a skills in Penetration Testing

This topic contains 14 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  nik556 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

zdrcruz
    Participant

What are the skills needed to build a skills in Penetration Testing for zero knowledge like me.
    What should we study first and where should we start? 🙂

Chin_Diesel

Learn the phases of attack, and what tools are used for each phase. Then, pick a tool and start practicing with it and build proficiency. There are a lot of tools out there, and many overlap, but it all boils down to what you are most comfortable with and being familiar enough with the tool to make it work for you. If you try to push yourself out of your comfort zone and force yourself to use a scripting language or command line more, you will help build your skills in those areas.

Also, get yourself set up with at least a virtual machine to test on, or a vulnerable web server to attack. Best of luck!

gowtham5
    Participant

nice!

gr3ymatt3r
    Participant

Theres some really great videos on here!

p3wp3w
    Participant

You can also check hackthissite.org for some challenges. It’s free and easy to use, with some basic knowledge.

cybermo
    Participant

?

breuermar
    Participant

As a beginner you should not go directly to pentesting. Learn Operating Systems, Networking and Programming. Then go to Pentesting. Have a look at the beginners courses here on Cybrary….

Good luck!

ps9557
    Participant

how to break wpa2 encryption

t13ru
    Participant

I would suggest to at least go a play around with programming and I would recommend Python, learning Bash and Powershell also helps a lot. Try some pentest distro and some CTFs for me it was the practice that taught me the most, more than any book or video.

Here you can find some nice CTFs for learning essentials
    http://captf.com/practice-ctf/

And Python
    https://docs.python.org/3/
    books
    Black hat Python, Gray hat Python from Justin Seitz and TJ O’Connor Violent Python.

sblank
    Participant

what should i stablish on penetrating a system? I have a knowledge in .net, PHP, Java. Please help me to build my skill in this penetration testing.

SAhmadA
    Participant

I have knowledge of Networking and some Python as a novice. I also started to learn IoT basics. I need a walkthrough step by step guide to become a pro pentester.

FisherCMH
    Participant

There is some sound advice on this thread. I agree it’s important to have a grounding in Networking and the OS before trying to penetrate… well, the network and the OS.

maryh
    Participant

@ zdrcruz how is it going w the pentesting? what has been working?

rk.rajpurohit
    Participant

Thank u for guidelines

nik556
    Participant

THis is one of the hardest but a very valuable skill in application security.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should be free, for everyone, FOREVER. Everyone, everywhere, deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is a free community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

Support Cybrary

Donate Here to Get This Month's Donor Badge

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel