Apple Mocks Good Hardware …Hardware

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Secure Software Development Hardware Apple Mocks Good Hardware …

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jothi Prakash Anandan 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Tatianna
    Keymaster

In this article https://www.techinasia.com/awkward-moment-apple-mocked-good-hardware-poor-people, Apple “unintentionally” mocked good computer hardware that lasts a long time. Phil Schiller’s presentation on the iPad pro gathered a lot of attention and amusingly dismissed many people: people who cannot afford to upgrade their machines, and those who see/have no need to upgrade.

What do you think? Are Apple products overrated or too expensive?
    What is your stance on hardware and upgrades?

abrasevo
    Participant

This is just an attempt by apple to give a false impression that product life-cycles are shorter than they actually are. I recently had a college discussion about this and found that every other student in my class believed that the life-cycle of a phone or a computer was only a year. This is exactly the mentality that manufacturers want consumers to have and they fuel it by releasing a new version gizmo and gadget annually like clockwork. With Technology goliaths like Apple, this consumer behavior is imperative to their business model. If Apple didn’t release a phone every year, or people didn’t “upgrade” to the latest phone every year then the company would take a significant financial hit.

Look at the iPhone for example, when the 6 was released people with 5’s and holdouts with 4’s ran out to “upgrade”. But what ground breaking technology did the 6 ACTUALLY present that was so far beyond that of the 5? Slightly faster, which most users didn’t even notice, a fingerprint scanner (which was available on the 5c) and miniscule screen size increase (unless you opted for the 6+ phablet)… that’s about it (Oh lets not forget about Apple Pay, pffft). But thanks to Apples incredible marketing prowess, people still bought the new one. Resale prices for the 5 plummeted worse than you’d expect of a used car because the 6 made the 5 “obsolete” giving the impression it was beyond it’s lifecycle (Even though it still runs nearly every app on the AppStore and gets updated by Apple).

This statement by Phil Schiller, though pompous, is really just another attempt at convincing people that by not upgrading to the latest technology their doing a disservice to themselves. “Dear Apple, if you really need to boost sales, give me something more than a few extra clock cycles and a fingerprint scanner”.

Tatianna
    Keymaster

I completely agree @abrasevo. Apple (though only one of many) is probably the front runner for promoting the hype of shortened life-cycles. They always want to be competitive in the market, which causes other companies to follow, thus popular belief changes to become: phones have a 1 year life-cycle before they no longer function like they’re supposed to, and computers need to be upgraded every 2 years. It’s nonsense, but it’s how many people think – especially people who do not know anything about how the insides of these machines work.

abrasevo
    Participant

I have this battle with my parents on a regular basis; they don’t have the knowledge to perform regular maintenance on their devices (such as cleaning out the dust from PC’s/Laptops, removing old/unused software, defragging, etc). As a result their devices begin to run slower. Since they live on the other side of the country I’m not always able to fix it so they run out to BestBuy and purchase some budget laptop with minimal specs every year.

Manufacturers release budget machines just for this reason. Minimal hardware specs and integrated hardware ensure a short lifespan and force consumers into the next budget machine. Unfortunately I know of a lot of knowledgeable people who have lost their PC repair/custom build companies because of this trend. People have the impression that whether they spend $250 or $2500 on a device they’re still going to have to replace it at the same time so they just opt for the cheap-o.

Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should be free, for everyone, FOREVER. Everyone, everywhere, deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is a free community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

Support Cybrary

Donate Here to Get This Month's Donor Badge

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel