Apipa Part 1 – Struggling hereCompTIA Network+ Course

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Courses CompTIA Network+ Course Apipa Part 1 – Struggling here

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Tobraham 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

chaplincharlie
    Participant

Hi everyone

Not sure if I am misunderstanding something here. I am currently doing the N+ and I have gotten to Module 1.3. Everything has been going really well. I am grasping most concepts however the section of APIPA is really confusing me.

I might be over complicating it for myself, I just don’t understand why the IP ranges, IP Classes and APIPA part Module 1.3, are completely different.

For Example:

IP Classes Section

Class A:

Range: 1.0.0.0.0 – 126.0.0.0 & Subnet: 255.0.0.0

APIPA part 1 Section

Class A:

Range: 10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255 & Subnet: 255.0.0.0

Now this is what is completely confusing me:

The classes specified in the IP Classes Section of Module 1.3, are those not private ranges?

Why are the private addresses and their subnets vastly different from one another in IP Classes Section and APIPA Part 1 section of module 1.3?

The different classes in IP Classes and APIPA Part 1 that apply to the same private network confuse the hell out of me. Which one do you choose?

When does the classes in IP Classes apply and when does the classes in APIPA Part 1 apply?

Anthony also mentioned that the subnet masks that identify or steal the chunk of addresses from the public domain that can be used as a private address? This has also completely lost me.

Quite demotivated on the APIPA part 1 section as I am completely confused as to what is actually going on over there and I don’t understand the entire section.

Will be going onto APIPA part 2 and hopefully it will make no sense however I feel this is very important and do not want to continue until I understand this part of the module.

EDIT: Completed APIPA Part 2 and now I am even more confused… I literally did not understand anything that is happening there 🙁

Thanks guys I appreciate the help.

Tobraham
    Participant

I just started watching the video myself. I think you are trying to separate the two instead of understanding that APIPA is merely a subset of IP addresses. So a Class A APIPA address is a small subset of the Class A IP ranges.

Within each IP range, there is a small subset that is reserved for private networking. The organization that assigns public IP addresses agrees that it will not assign anyone an IP address that falls within the private range, so that you can use those IP addresses internally inside your networks. It’s a way of ensuring you don’t step on each other’s toes.

If you were to look at it another way. Let’s say I have a set of numbers I call “Class A Numbers” that contained the numbers 1-50. I will promise to you that I will never use the numbers 35-40 so that you can do what you want with them. 35-40 will be private Class A numbers while 1-34 and 36 – 50 will be public Class A numbers.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Tobraham.

Tobraham
    Participant

So looking at the real Class IP range:

1) The full range of IPs in Class A is
    1.0.0.1 to 126.255.255.254

2) Within that range, the IPs reserved for private use are
    10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255

3) The rest of the IPs leftover are the public IPs:
    1.0.0.1 – 9.255.255.255 and
    11.0.0.1 – 126.255.255.254

Together, the public IPs plus the private IPs all combine to make the complete range of IPs in that class.

Make sense?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Tobraham.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should be free, for everyone, FOREVER. Everyone, everywhere, deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is a free community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

Cybrary On The Go

Get the Cybrary app for Android for online and offline viewing of our lessons.

Get it on Google Play

Support Cybrary

Donate Here to Get This Month's Donor Badge

Skip to toolbar

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel